1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Silver Laced Wyandotte hen or rooster?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Emmilli, Jul 10, 2011.

1. Emmilli

Emmilli New Egg

Jul 10, 2011
    Hello! This is our first year attempting to raise laying hens. So far all of our chicks seem to be turning out to be hens except for possibly this little one. It's about 3 months old. It's recently become fairly aggressive with the other chicks. I suspect that it's a rooster. What do you think, hen or rooster? I'm sure it is obvious to most of you! Thanks for any help!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 10, 2011
  2. akcountrygrrl

akcountrygrrl Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 3, 2010
    Nenana, AK
    With the size of that comb, the narrowness of the hackle feathers, and the white patches coming in over the shoulders, I'd have to say you have a roo.

3. defintly a roo

4. Cowgirl71

Cowgirl71 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 5, 2010
    Missouri Ozarks
    Rooster.

5. Emmilli

Emmilli New Egg

Jul 10, 2011
    Thanks for the input!

6. Emilysbro

Emilysbro New Egg

Jul 10, 2011
    Has this poor chicken been exposed to a large amount of stress? He looks terified! Are you going to eat the poor thing now that he is a rooster? I hope you find a nice shelter for him. Its not his fault he is a boy. I am so worried about this poor chicken I can hardley think straight. I hope you can still show him love, or are you a feminist chicken farmer who only likes females!!??[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

7. PeakyBeaky

PeakyBeaky Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 27, 2010
    Bellefonte, PA
    Do you have photos of it standing? Is it hatchery bred or Breeder? Yes, it could be a roo...but ours have way more white on the backs and less on the necks at this age. I'd like to see more of "it" before I know for sure.

8. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    Quote:Wow.
    So many responses.............I'll just leave them to ya'all's imagination.

9. Emmilli

Emmilli New Egg

Jul 10, 2011

10. Emmilli

Emmilli New Egg

Jul 10, 2011
    Quote:I added a picture of it standing. It's from a breeder. Thanks for all the responses!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by