1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Silver Laced Wyandotte Hen Started Crowing This Morning.

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by UtahHenHelper, May 30, 2017.

1. UtahHenHelper

UtahHenHelper Out Of The Brooder

Apr 15, 2016
    Utah
    I just picked up a couple of Silver Laced Wyandotte Hens (I think?). I had two 1 year old Plymouth Barred Rock hens but they really started beating up on the darker of the two SLW's. Tore about a 1" wide by 4" long block of feathers off the back of the neck along with some puncture wounds. I gave away the one BR that I thought was causing the problem. Since then the Alpha BR, which I kept, is pretty much keeping to herself. Both SLW's are staying out of her way. They are however starting to sleep together in the roost now. I used hydrocortizone 1% on their wounds and they seem to be healing. No idea how long it will take for the feathers to regrow? The interesting thing is, my wife and I both heard one of them crow like a rooster this morning. I am not allowed to have backyard roosters in my city! Can anyone tell looking at these photos what you think I may have? Thank you for any replies! View attachment 1023904 View attachment 1023905

2. Top Rooster

Top Rooster Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 16, 2015
    North East Oklahoma
    Your hens might have a hormone issue that could be causing her to crow. I have a hen who mounts other hens but she still lays eggs and right now she's broody I guess she just a bit different but she never crows. I'd look up why and how to stop a hen from crowing because it has happened before with other hens, but it's not common. I remember looking up why my hen was mounting other hens but it turns out it's just a dominance thing but some of the sites said som e useful info on hens crowing

UtahHenHelper and gLouise like this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by