Silver Laced Wyandotte - I'm supposed to be a hen, but ???

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Alisa, Jun 25, 2008.

1. Alisa

Alisa New Egg

May 3, 2008
    Portland Oregon
    Mable our 8 week old Silver Laced Wyandotte has us confused. We thought she was a she, but she made a terrible noise the other morning - like an attempt to crow, but it came out more like, well a chicken being strangled. It only a couple times the other day and nothing since, though now looking at "her" wondering. I would love to hear the thoughts of more experienced folks, as we are newbies!
    Thank you!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    IMG]http://i285.photobucket.com/albums/ll45/alisafaulk/100_3226.jpg[/IMG]

2. Mrs MIA

Mrs MIA Chick Magnet

Mar 3, 2008
    [​IMG] I'm sorry... that sure looks like a roo to me...

3. freerange freaks

freerange freaks Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 21, 2007
    Ontario, Canada
    I definately agree cockeral. But, forgive me if I am wrong, isn't a Wyandotte suppose to have a rose comb?

4. Alisa

Alisa New Egg

May 3, 2008
    Portland Oregon
    Quote:I bought what was supposed to be a Silver Laced Wyandotte and a Cuckoo Maran along with a few others who are easily identified. The Maran (another rooster suspect in my other posting) is all black with a tiny spot of white. Is this not a Wyandotte? Then what is Mable or well I guess Max?
    Thanks!

Last edited: Jun 25, 2008
  5. Chickndaddy

Chickndaddy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 26, 2007
    East Texas
    Here is an "interesting" article (if rather lengthy) on Wyandottes. It would seem that straight combed breed were used in the foundation of the breed which would make it entirely probable that even today Wyandotte flocks can throw straight combed chicks.

A bit of the article:

"The original Wyandotte was the Silver Laced variety. Its origins are somewhat uncertain. Some writers suggest that the Dark Brahma was used in the early crosses, while others refer to a breed called the Chittagong, which had Malay, Shanghai or Cochin, as well as the Dorking in its background. The plumage of the Chittagong was a mixture of yellow and brown, usually pencilled or spangled. Some of the earlier writers claim Brahma blood was used in the creation of the Chittagong. Writers tend to agree that the other breed used to create the Wyandotte was known as the Silver Sebright (not the bantam fowl by the same name). This breed appears to have had a laced plumage pattern. There does not appear to be any evidence of this fowl's origin except that it was an imported fowl. Several lines of thought exist as to its origin. The most accepted idea was that the Breda, Polish and Silver Hamburg (or Mooneys) were in the background of the Silver Sebright."

I had a straight combed Blue-laced Red Wyandotte. I believe that straight combed birds are still referred to as Wyandottes, although as they do not meet the Standard for the breed they would be unacceptable for showing. You would also not want to breed the bird (if you are using it in a breeding flock and are trying to breed to the Standard of Perfection) as the offspring would have a greater chance of having straight combs as well.

Oh and it is definitely a cockerel.

Last edited: Jun 25, 2008
  6. tomstephens

tomstephens Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2008
    Charlotte NC
    That much comb at 8 weeks, definitely a cockerel.

7. Ang

Ang Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 2, 2008
    West Central Illinois
    I agree you have a boy there.

Thanks for answering my question about straight combs and wyandottes. I have a GW with a straight comb and wondered if it was pure or a mix.

8. BearSwampChick

BearSwampChick Chicken Sensei

Jan 10, 2008
    Marysville, OH
    Definitely a roo! [​IMG]

9. s6bee

s6bee Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 1, 2007
    Western, NY
    That's a roo! I have SLW and they are supposed to have a rose comb, but I thought there could be the occasional straight comb but it's not accepted if you were to show. If you don't care, then it's fine.
    But at 8 weeks, anything that has a comb like that is a roo.

10. freerange freaks

freerange freaks Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 21, 2007
    Ontario, Canada
    Thanks very much for that info. I had no idea they could have single comb with out being a mix.

By the way, that is a gorgeous bird you have there.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by