1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Silver Laced Wyandotte? Pullet or cockerel? almost 6 wks old

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by TN Henny Penny, Mar 11, 2011.

1. TN Henny Penny

TN Henny Penny Out Of The Brooder

Jan 22, 2011
    You guys have been so terrific with my newbie questions! Our chicks are almost 6 wks old and we are still curious about our 'bonus' chick that Murray McMurray included with the order as a 'rare, exotic' breed. We agree with several that say a SLW is not rare or exotic [​IMG] but nonetheless, we don't know for sure about this bird! Any thoughts on gender and is it SLW? One other dumb question....when does the terminology change from 'chick' to 'pullet' or 'cockerel'? THANKS!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. jenesis536

jenesis536 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 3, 2010
    CA
    I'm sorry, but I'm going to say cockerel. That comb is getting big and wide and RED and the wattles are already red. At that age, I would think boy. Those feet look pretty big as well. I don't know wyandottes though, so I could be wrong. I'm not sure if coloring has anything to do with male/female and what they are supposed to look like at this age.

It sure is pretty!

3. smarsh

smarsh Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 19, 2009
    lexington, KY
    on the other hand, it is nicely tailed. It has been awhile since I had wyandottes, but I remember the roos feathering slower. I am not sure on this one

4. RL

RL Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 8, 2009
    Oak Point, TX
    I say Cockerel as well and yes it is a Sliver laced Wyandotte.

5. dsqard

dsqard Crazy "L" Farms

Jun 11, 2010
    York PA
    Sorry but I have to agree, it looks like a boy to me. The coloring looks like it is coming in roo. If you google SLW rooster you will find pictures and see what I mean.
    Sorry for the double post, I have reported it and hopefully it will go away.

Last edited: Mar 11, 2011
  6. PeakyBeaky

PeakyBeaky Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 27, 2010
    Bellefonte, PA
    Definite young SLW roo! The comb is large for that age, he has the right pattern on his feathers and his legs are thick.

7. chickstofeed

chickstofeed Out Of The Brooder

Mar 11, 2011
    rooster unfortunately if you don't want one

8. bishopschickens

bishopschickens Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2008
    Cumberland, VA
    I have bred the SLW and now do BLRW. He's a rooster for sure. Most of the red ones look like hens though!! [​IMG]

9. Justanother Brooke

Justanother Brooke Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 29, 2011
    Goldendale, WA
    Looks like a boy to me!

10. TN Henny Penny

TN Henny Penny Out Of The Brooder

Jan 22, 2011
    Thanks everyone for the feedback. Consensus seems to be that 'bonus' chicken is a HE. We're so new at this that we don't know what that means for our flock. We just wanted eggs, so he'll not help with that! He is beautiful and since he's unique the kids are quite attached. I suppose we'll have time to plan what to do with him as they all grow!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by