1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Silver Laced Wyandotte -- Pullet or Cockerel?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by TrestleTrailHomestead, Jun 17, 2011.

1. TrestleTrailHomestead

TrestleTrailHomestead New Egg

Mar 6, 2011
    This is Ginger! She/he is a little more than 8 weeks old. We noticed she was a little different the very first day we got her at the age of one day. She had lighter markings and her head had a reddish tinge (hence the name). Now, she appears very different from her sisters. We haven't heard her crow, but she is dominant without being too aggressive. Her comb and wattles are much larger and redder than our other Wyandottes of the same age, and her legs are thicker with larger feet. She seemed to be bigger than the other girls, but over the past few weeks, it seems everyone else has caught up in terms of size.
    Any opinions?
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. fshinggrl

fshinggrl Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2009
    the edge of insanity
    Ginger needs a name change... George perhaps. Based on color. SLWs cockerels tend to have a lot more white on them than pullets.

3. TrestleTrailHomestead

TrestleTrailHomestead New Egg

Mar 6, 2011
    I think it'll be George from here on out! Thanks!

4. Schwartzfarmnc

Schwartzfarmnc Chillin' With My Peeps

May 28, 2010
    West Jefferson
    Oh yes, going to be a big beautiful Roo, so much developement for that age.

5. cambriagardener

cambriagardener Chillin' With My Peeps

That's a lot of red for a little Wyandotte pullet. You might like reading a story I wrote two years ago called "Poppy the Problem Chick". I was sure my silver-laced Wyandotte was a rooster but......... here it is if you have a minute http://www.backyardhencam.com/poppy-a-problem-chicken/ Sorry, I don't know how to get the link to work. The story is on my website below.

6. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Cockerel, and not just because of the red comb and wattles, either. The black around the hackle area is a male trait in SLWs of that age.

7. PeakyBeaky

PeakyBeaky Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 27, 2010
    Bellefonte, PA
    Quote:X 2.

8. Relynn

Relynn Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 29, 2017
    Poppy is a beautiful hen!! I read your story, it was awesome... my hen Red is like that (My eldest son named her lol). She didn't used to be like that, but her flock was killed by a big dog, and she was the only hen we had left. So, we bought her a new flock... lets just say she hated them to begin with constantly chasing them around and pecking them... she is much better now that they are over 3 months old, but she still won't let them go to bed until she is ready to go to bed herself. She chases them out of the hen house and out of the coop about 3 times each night, finally letting them settle once she has gone to bed. She now spends most of her time in the house with us during the day, and has gotten rather good at only pooping once or twice in the house... she is happier with them now, and will let them eat with her.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by