Silver Laced Wyandotte - Pullet or Roo?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Sunnyducks, Jan 21, 2017.

1. Sunnyducks

Sunnyducks Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2016
    Hi all

I believe this is a roo - he is about 12-14 weeks old (seller wasn't sure of hatch date). I'd be glad if you good people were able to have a look and give your opinion ple[​IMG]

ase. Many thanks in advance. :)[​IMG]

2. TheKindaFarmGal

TheKindaFarmGal Overrun With Chickens

May 4, 2016
    Somewhere in the Universe
    Cockerel.

3. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    Cockerel.

4. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    cockerel

5. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    I'm not as positive. Can we get a full body shot, profile, of the bird standing naturally?

6. mymilliefleur

mymilliefleur Keeper of the Flock

Nov 4, 2014
    East Tennessee.
    X2 The comb is large, but not overly red.....

7. Sunnyducks

May 1, 2016
    Thank you so much to all those who replied saying they believed it was a rooster, I'm very grateful for your input. Thank you also to @donrae and @mymilliefleur who aren't completely sure... I hope this photo helps. You may well (justifiably!) question why I purchased this bird when there is clearly some doubt - I don't know why either! What's done is done. All I can say is that some of the dozen or so similar age SLWs had redder faces, some had pink. This was one of the pinker ones but it's redder than it was. I let him settle down for a week or so, then introduced him to a trio of similar age pullets including another SLW. He immediately attacked her and scared the wits out of her. Her comb and face are pale and much smaller. I moved him in with my older girls, though there is also a lavender araucana (photo below) who I suspect i s going to be a roo. The girls just push him out of the way but the previously peaceful araucana chases him incessantly round the yard. I'm getting the feeling this is rooster behaviour from both of these birds. What do you think? Thank you in advance.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

8. Cel45

Cel45 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 28, 2015
    Houston, Tx
    Cockerel

1 person likes this.
  9. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    He does look like a cockerel, sorry.

10. Sunnyducks

May 1, 2016
    @donrae Thank you for confirming it. Sigh. Is the image of the little araucana clear enough for you to have an opinion on gender? I think he's a roo too. Thank you in advance.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by