Silver laced wyandotte question

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by chickenman98, May 24, 2010.

1. chickenman98

chickenman98 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 27, 2010
    Eastern Oklahoma
    i have a silver laced wyandotte hen named lacy, she is about 10 months old and she has WAY more silverish white then black. to me she looks more spangled than laced and also looks like a silver spangled hamburg. we got her from mc.murry. is there a chance she has alot more hamburg in her than slw? she is shaped more like a slw and laws brown eggs. if anyone knows why she looks this way please post.
    thanks,
    ryan

2. Brody's Broodello

Brody's Broodello Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 9, 2009
    Maryland
    She is colored like that because she came from Hatchery stock. Birds bred at hatcheries are bred for production, ie laying ability not for show standards. If you want birds closer to the breed standard it is best advised to buy from a breeder who shows their stock.

3. rancher hicks

rancher hicks Chicken Obsessed

Feb 28, 2009
    Syracuse, NY
    Gotta a pic? That would help. Got three from Ideal and two have single combs. Got 2 GLW from Ideal and one has more gold than the other. Ordering from a hatchery is like a box of chocalates, you never know what your gonna get. IMHO

4. CelticMoon1

CelticMoon1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 25, 2009
    Brody's Broodello :

She is colored like that because she came from Hatchery stock. Birds bred at hatcheries are bred for production, ie laying ability not for show standards. If you want birds closer to the breed standard it is best advised to buy from a breeder who shows their stock.

Exactly!​

5. chickenman98

chickenman98 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 27, 2010
    Eastern Oklahoma
    the other ones look normal though

6. Brody's Broodello

Brody's Broodello Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 9, 2009
    Maryland
    When you say "normal" you mean color wise or type & color?

Here are pics of Show winning SLW
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

This is what SLW color should look like.

7. Chickndaddy

Chickndaddy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 26, 2007
    East Texas
    And here are some typical birds from a hatchery. I think Matt Dylan and Miss Kitty came from Ideal although it might have been Murray McMurray.

[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by