Silver laced Wyandotte Roo and Gold laced Wyandotte hen offspring?

Pufna

Chirping
Aug 25, 2020
So how I understood reading some genetics? threads, SLW roo with a GLW hen will give SLW hens and GLW roos.
So if I pair my two GLW hens with SLW roo and get a GLW roo, can I then breed the new GLW roo with GLW hens and get both roos and hens GL?

I'm not a Wyandotte breeder, but you have that reversed as silver is dominant over red (and gold is diluted red, or rather gold/red are close as I understand).

You will need a GLW rooster over a SLW hen to produce SLW cockerels and GLW pullets as the silver gene is on the hen's Z chromosome to dominate the Zred(gold dilute) of the roosters to produce silver ZZ males and ZredW(no color) girls.

Then Yes. Imho you should be able to breed that GLW rooster back to his GLW daughters and keep a GLW line. I've done a nice job of producing gold laced Barnevelders by line breeding daughters back to their beautiful daddy. I've got some lovely Barnies now.

I actually started with red based hens bred back to a lovely Gold Laced Barnevelder. F1 (first generation) gave me red based with incomplete lacing. Those daughters bred back to dad produced F2 (second generation) lovely golden laced barnies.

LofMc

Last edited:
I'm not a Wyandotte breeder, but you have that reversed as silver is dominant over red (and gold is diluted red, or rather gold/red are close as I understand).

You will need a GLW rooster over a SLW hen to produce SLW cockerels and GLW pullets as the silver gene is on the hen's Z chromosome to dominate the Zred(gold dilute) of the roosters to produce silver ZZ males and ZredW(no color) girls.

Then Yes. Imho you should be able to breed that GLW rooster back to his GLW daughters and keep a GLW line. I've done a nice job of producing gold laced Barnevelders by line breeding daughters back to their beautiful daddy. I've got some lovely Barnies now.

I actually started with red based hens bred back to a lovely Gold Laced Barnevelder. F1 (first generation) gave me red based with incomplete lacing. Those daughters bred back to dad produced F2 (second generation) lovely golden laced barnies.

LofMc
Thanks for replying.
So how I understood you, I can't get a gold laced roo with breeding a silver laced roo and gold laced hen?

Ditto. SL roo will be dominant silver over all gold, unless he is split silver...a thought....but that would simply create 50/50 silver or gold both male and female.

If he is pure he should be double silver, so silver split offspring with silver dominant all chicks.

LofMc

I can't get a gold laced roo with breeding a silver laced roo and gold laced hen?

Correct. But with that pairing, the sons will be split silver/gold (so they look mostly silver, but carry the gene for gold.) Crossing one of those sons to a gold laced hen should produce some gold laced chicks (both genders) and also some silver laced chicks (both genders.) The silver ones might not look very good (not a clean white), but I think the golds will probably look fine.

Yes. ^This.

You can eventually get to gold with the Silver roo, but it will take some effort, and might not be as clean as you like.

Remember that statistically (like flipping a coin) it will look like this
F1 (1st Gen) Silver roo over Gold hen, silver split 100% both sexes

F2 Silver roo over Silver split daughters, 50% silver 50% gold, both sexes...however you might set 12 eggs and 8 hatch, of those 8, 5 are males, 3 are females, of those, you might get lucky and get 1 or 2 golds, or they could all be golds, but not nice looking, or 1 or 2 nice looking.

Take the nice looking F2 gold roo and breed back to grandmother gold hen. At that point you should start seeing gold chicks as silver should have been bred out...but I've not tried this project so I'm not sure how clean the gold would look...like NatJ said, silver would probably not be pretty but the gold *should* work.

It will take effort, and my personal experience is F2 doesn't go quite as planned. You may have to retry F2 efforts a few times to finally get a nice looking gold rooster with good health and temperament (don't forget those things too).

Good luck,
LofMc

You can eventually get to gold with the Silver roo, but it will take some effort, and might not be as clean as you like.
It can be done in one less generation than you said, and is not as complicated.

Remember that statistically (like flipping a coin) it will look like this
F1 (1st Gen) Silver roo over Gold hen, silver split 100% both sexes
No, not right. Sons are split, but daughters are pure for silver.

Gold/Silver are on the Z sex chromosome.
A rooster has ZZ. He might be pure gold, he might be pure silver, or he might be split (gold and silver, but looks mostly silver.)
A hen has ZW. She is gold, or she is silver, but she is never split (because W does not have the gold or silver gene.)

A hen gets her Z chromosome from her father, and W from her mother. She gives her Z chromosome to her sons, and her W chromosome to her daughters.

F2 Silver roo over Silver split daughters, 50% silver 50% gold, both sexes...however you might set 12 eggs and 8 hatch, of those 8, 5 are males, 3 are females, of those, you might get lucky and get 1 or 2 golds, or they could all be golds, but not nice looking, or 1 or 2 nice looking.
No, because gold/silver are on the Z sex chromosome. What you describe is not quite right even for genes on other chromosomes (should show 75% dominant gene, 25% recessive gene), but it definitely does not work with genes on the sex chromosomes.

Just take a split gold/silver male from the first cross, and breed him to his mother.
The gold mother gives gold to her sons, and W (neither gold nor silver) to her daughters.
The split rooster gives gold to some sons and some daughters, and silver to other sons and other daughters.

So this second generation of breeding gives you gold sons, gold daughters, split sons who look silver, and silver daughters. All of those are pure for their respective gold or silver genes, except the half of sons who are split gold/silver. (Whether they are all a nice shade of silver or of gold is determined by a bunch of other genes, but I'm guessing the golds will be fairly good.)

It can be done in one less generation than you said, and is not as complicated.

No, not right. Sons are split, but daughters are pure for silver.

Gold/Silver are on the Z sex chromosome.
A rooster has ZZ. He might be pure gold, he might be pure silver, or he might be split (gold and silver, but looks mostly silver.)
A hen has ZW. She is gold, or she is silver, but she is never split (because W does not have the gold or silver gene.)

A hen gets her Z chromosome from her father, and W from her mother. She gives her Z chromosome to her sons, and her W chromosome to her daughters.

No, because gold/silver are on the Z sex chromosome. What you describe is not quite right even for genes on other chromosomes (should show 75% dominant gene, 25% recessive gene), but it definitely does not work with genes on the sex chromosomes.

Just take a split gold/silver male from the first cross, and breed him to his mother.
The gold mother gives gold to her sons, and W (neither gold nor silver) to her daughters.
The split rooster gives gold to some sons and some daughters, and silver to other sons and other daughters.

So this second generation of breeding gives you gold sons, gold daughters, split sons who look silver, and silver daughters. All of those are pure for their respective gold or silver genes, except the half of sons who are split gold/silver. (Whether they are all a nice shade of silver or of gold is determined by a bunch of other genes, but I'm guessing the golds will be fairly good.)

From what I'm reading, we are saying the same thing, just not communicating clearly.

That F1 I was talking about was the offspring product of the original silver roo S/S to gold (s/s)..I understand that silver is on the Z chromosome, which Z is 50%. Split silver rooster would be S/s. From that, 50% of the time he is passing that Silver. 50% of the time he is not. So wouldn't 50% of his daughters be S/s? and 50% be s/s? Which means 50% split silver (looking silver) and 50% gold?

A pure S/S will have S/s 100% both sexes right? That would be the parents (assuming the rooster isn't split right now).

LofMc

I may be labeling my generations differently than you...your are considering F1 the original pair?

I always thought F1 was the first offspring generation.

LofMc

Back
Top Bottom