1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Silver Laced Wyandotte Rooster Australorp Hen (sex-link?)

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by wynn4578, Apr 6, 2015.

1. wynn4578

wynn4578 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 6, 2015
    Oklahoma
    I want to cross a SLW rooster with a Black Australorp hen and I'm curious if this would create a sex-link chick. If it would what are your thoughts on coloring. The way I see it (assuming the rooster is S,S and the hen is bl,bl) then the male chicks would be possibly mottled or gray-ish like a SLW and the hens would be black.Do I have this backwards or am I completely out of the neighborhood on this? I remember reading something about this combination awhile back but I don't remember much about the article. At the time a SLW cross was not much interest to me but since I've gained a SLW rooster it has we wondering.

2. 3riverschick

3riverschick Poultry Lit Chaser

May 19, 2009
    western PA
    My Coop
    Hi,
    You need to search around BYC and find Marvin aka nicalandia. He is a human genetics calculator and can answer your questions
    Best,
    Karen

3. nicalandia

nicalandia Overrun With Chickens

Jul 16, 2009
    Silver Laced Wyandotte Rooster Crossed with a Black Australorp Hen will NOT Create sexlinks, ALL of the chicks will be Black with cream/yellow underbelly(both Gender) they will hatch like any other Australorp, except with Rosecomb..

4. nicalandia

nicalandia Overrun With Chickens

Jul 16, 2009
    you may ask why? well lets get to the Basics..

Silver Laced Wyandotte Rooster genetic make up for his color is

eb/eb(brown, or also called partridge), Co/Co(Columbian Restricted) S/S(dominant Sexlinked Silver) Pg/Pg(pattern Gene) Ml/Ml(Melanotic)

Black Australorp Hen genetic make up for her color is

E/E(extended Black, the most dominant e allele) co+/co+(the wildtype counterpart of Co) S/-(Sexlinked Silver, could also be Silver but you cant tell because they are all black) pg+/pg+(wildtype counterpart of Pg) Ml/Ml(dominant Melanotic)

so the F1 or the Cross outcome will be

E/eb(E is dominant over eb)
    Co/co+(Co dominant over co+, but Co has a hard time affecting E)
    S/S(both Silver, hens will be S/-)
    Pg/pg+(Pg has no effect on Black birds)
    Ml/Ml(Melanotic, a melanizer, has the effect of turning the hackles and saddle into black)

so Basically they will be Mostly Black, some of the Females and males may show(or may not, it will vary) Silver leakage on the breast(like how Black sexlink hens sometimes show red on the breast, this will be white instead).

here is a thread about such cross, the hens are mostly black
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/...otte-roo-black-australorp-hen/10#post_4950886

5. wynn4578

Apr 6, 2015
    Oklahoma
    Nice reply. This does peak my interest in the genetic side of raising chicks.

6. wynn4578

Apr 6, 2015
    Oklahoma
    Out of sheer curiosity....what if you reversed the line-up SLW hen and Australorp rooster? Still all black?

7. thetigress

thetigress Out Of The Brooder

Jun 21, 2014
    From what I have done with my BA roo and SLW hen the baby will be all black with a rose comb then mine 2 roos are turning a golden color around their heads and necks. They are 14 weeks old. Just to give you an idea.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by