Silver Laced Wyandotte - Rooster?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Sunnyducks, Feb 22, 2017.

1. Sunnyducks

Sunnyducks Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2016
    Hi All,

I have a little silver laced Wyandotte, now about 20 weeks though the breeder's set up was so chaotic that I'm taking her word for how old this chick was when I got it - he's now older but still no sign of a tail, and wattles aren't very big, though he's pretty red. I need to decide what to do with him urgently if indeed he is a he as I can't risk a roo in town.. is there much doubt? Grateful for your thoughts. Thank you very much in advance.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Ol Grey Mare

Ol Grey Mare One egg shy of a full carton. ..... Premium Member

Mar 9, 2014
    Oregon
    My Coop
    If the age is correct (or even close - say 16+weeks), there is not much concern about this bird being a cockerel, imo. Looks like a pretty pullet approaching the point of lay.

3. Sunnyducks

May 1, 2016
    Thank you, that gives me hope! I posted photos about 6 weeks ago when I'd had him a week or two and I estimated he was 12-14 weeks by then; the breeder didn't have any real clue and thought it had been 12-14 weeks when I'd first bought it. It coloured up a lot in the next week or two and I began to get suspicious. The forum's opinion at that time was that he was probably a roo. However, his wattles and comb haven't developed in colour or size at all in these last few weeks, hence me asking again. But I think he does have to be over 16 weeks by now, even if the breeder was way out in her guesstimate.

4. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    I don't see any definite pointed saddle feathers (which would be male signs), but somehow "it" still looks cockerelish to me.

5. Sunnyducks

May 1, 2016
    Yes, he definitely has a masculine expression on his face, but like you say, no pointy saddle feathers. I'm too much of a novice still to have much confidence in my own opinion so I'm grateful for yours :)

6. IdahoTom

IdahoTom Out Of The Brooder

Mar 13, 2016
    That is a hen my friend.

-IdahoTom

7. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    undecided sorry

1 person likes this.
  8. ppimf

ppimf Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 15, 2012
    ellis kansas
    I would say hen close to laying, hence the red comb, if it was a roo I would have thought it's waddles and comb would be much larger by now

1 person likes this.
  9. Sunnyducks

May 1, 2016
    Thank you - my only comment is that the comb was red like this about 5-6 weeks ago, hence my dilemma :( I appreciate you thoughts!

10. Sunnyducks

May 1, 2016
    Thank you for the thoughts, @IdahoTom

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by