Silver Laced Wyandotte Rooster???

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by 4Peep'sSake, May 28, 2010.

1. 4Peep'sSake

4Peep'sSake Hatching

May 10, 2010
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    He was a "surprise" baby chick from the local farm store. He has more black than the pics I've seen of SLW Roos.
    Thanks

2. That's not a silver laced wyandotte. For a wyandotte, you should have a rose comb (singles are rare), and yellow legs, and lacing on the feathers.

What you've got looks more like a mottle bird than a laced. Maybe its an Ancona? I'm not very familiar with them, but that's my best guess.

3. High Roost Ranch

High Roost Ranch The Chicken Whisperer

No, that is definitely NOT a wyandotte. It is a cockerel.

4. 4Peep'sSake

4Peep'sSake Hatching

May 10, 2010
    We are new to chickens and have a lot to learn. His chest feathers looked liked the Wyandottes so that was what we were guessing. As a baby chick, he didn't look like any of the other baby chicks. I told DH when he brought all the chicks home I didn't want to keep any roosters. But since he looked so different, he was the first to get a name (Cow, since he was black and white) and everyone got attached to him. And of course once he started trying to crow, everyone really thought he was cute. I sure hope he doesn't develop a mean streak and end up needing a nice hot soak in a pot. I doubt my kids would forgive me!
    We just looked at pics of an ancona chick and the 1st thing my son said was "hey that looks like Cow." [​IMG]

Last edited: May 28, 2010
  5. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Looks like an Ancona cockerel to me.

6. 4Peep'sSake

4Peep'sSake Hatching

May 10, 2010
    Yes, now that I have seen pics of them I think so too.
    Thanks~

7. PhlyinPheBee

PhlyinPheBee Poodles, Chicken, Goats--OH MY!!

Mar 11, 2009
    Northeast Louisiana
    It is a roo............Love the cat pic!!!!!!!!!!!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by