Silver Laced Wyandotte sex...

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by JusticeFamilyFarm, Jul 7, 2011.

1. JusticeFamilyFarm

JusticeFamilyFarm Chillin' With My Peeps

May 27, 2011
    Southern California
    Hello! I have 2 Silver Laced Wyandottes, and I think I have a roo. All of "his" tail feathers have been pulled/pecked out, and I think it's because he's mean to the others! I've seen "him" fly at them, and get pecked. So, I'm only basing my roo determination on the comb and waddles... but I have no idea what I am doing. These are my first chicks and I'll pretty much only know when they crow or lay... but I thought I'd post here and get some opinions to help my impatience. [​IMG] I didn't get the best pictures- but here are a few.
    Here's the one:
    [​IMG]
    This is "him" with my other SLW:
    [​IMG]
    And here "he" is again in the center, and the other SLW on the left:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Snowygirl

Snowygirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 15, 2011
    Mirkwood
    sorry, but i think it's a he.......[​IMG]

3. technodoll

technodoll Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 25, 2009
    Quebec, Canada
    yeah, that's definitely a BOY!

4. TroutsChicks

TroutsChicks Fluffy Stuffins

Jun 5, 2011
    baxter Tn
    ROOOO HOOOOO !! he's a looker! [​IMG]

5. serenityNH

serenityNH Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 7, 2011
    Raymond, NH
    Just curious -how old is he?

6. JusticeFamilyFarm

May 27, 2011
    Southern California
    Quote:Oops- I meant to include that in the post. [​IMG] He's about 6 1/2 weeks (as is the other SLW and some of the others in the pics).

7. JusticeFamilyFarm

May 27, 2011
    Southern California
    I was just reading some other "guess the sex" posts and some mentioned roos having thicker legs- which he does. [​IMG]

8. NYRIR

NYRIR Chillin' With My Peeps

May 13, 2010
    Petersburg,NY
    That's a boy...

9. serenityNH

serenityNH Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 7, 2011
    Raymond, NH
    Quote:My SLW are the same age as yours! Both of mine which are pullets (I hope [​IMG] ) look like your 'other one' and they have very skinny legs so yes I would agree with everyone else and say roo. I had wondered if one of mine was going to be a roo because her comb was a bit more red, but compared to yours it's nothing [​IMG] so thank you, your post helped me [​IMG]

10. JusticeFamilyFarm

May 27, 2011
    Southern California
    Now I'm tempted to go find some more SLW chicks somewhere, but I just finished with the whole brooder/chicks in the garage bathroom and don't know if my husband would be happy with me starting it up again (before next year when I told him it will happen again [​IMG] ). Plus then I'd have to deal with integrating them in with the older birds when they are big enough- and I don't know at what point they could be together (ages). Ugh. The worst thing is SLW roos are so pretty! I just don't want to keep any roos. [​IMG] Hmmmmm...

Edited to correct spelling... [​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 8, 2011

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by