Silver Laced Wyandotte sexing

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by magsrags, Apr 28, 2009.

1. magsrags

magsrags Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 12, 2008
    Staten Island NY
    I have 3 adorable 2 week old SLW that my silkie was kind enough to hatch out for me. My very first and it has bee wonderful watching her raise them in my yard.

Does anyone have any tips on early sexing of this bread? They are new to me.
    TIA

2. ging3rhoffman

ging3rhoffman Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 23, 2009
    I have 3 silver lace wyandottes also, there are 7 weeks old now. The rooster was smaller and just carried himself differently. He also made a different sound than the pullets did when I pet him. He would stand up real tall and his comb started to turn pink/red before the pullets. The girls looked more round and carried their heads lower. They are beautiful birds, they change so fast.[​IMG]

3. magsrags

magsrags Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 12, 2008
    Staten Island NY
    Quote:thanks for taking the time to write.:<)

4. hoppy

hoppy I'm not all fluff

May 5, 2007
    central maine
    dotties can be sexed as day old chicks by looking at the feathering on the wing. even feathers are males, uneven are females but you are past this point, but next time you will know.

5. Julie_A

Julie_A Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 20, 2008
    Brewton, Ala.
    Any tips for sexing 6 week olds? I have some with single combs and some with rose combs.

6. CelticMoon1

CelticMoon1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 25, 2009
    In my experience males have a bit thicker legs, more bumpy combs (I've only ever had rosecombed SLWs but I presume the single combs will be larger in the males as well) with more reddening than the the females, and also more prominent wattles. They should be easily sexable at 6 weeks.

In addition the males' tails seem to be slower to feather in, which means the larger the tail the more likely it's a female. This is easiest to tell at 1-2 weeks.

Last edited: Jan 1, 2010
  7. Julie_A

Julie_A Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 20, 2008
    Brewton, Ala.
    Thanks!!! These are my first SLWs and first rosecombs. I'll go out to the coop later and check.

Thank you! [​IMG]

8. CelticMoon1

CelticMoon1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 25, 2009
    Here's a pic of mine, both SLWs and Whites at 6-7 weeks for comparison. Blue=male, red=female:

[​IMG]

2 people like this.
  9. CloggingChicken

CloggingChicken Out Of The Brooder

Mar 22, 2009
    Hendersonville, NC
    We hatched out some chicks and found that their wing feathers seemed to give it away. Google feather sexing and you will get returns with pics to see the difference in feather structure of day olds. This seemed to work for up to a day or two. If the chicks are around the week to 2 week old range look and see if any are lagging behind the others in wing feather development. The males seemed to take longer to get the wing feathers in and females had more/fuller appearing wing feathers. These were differences that we found in ours and may not be the same as yours.

Good luck,
    Bill

10. Robin'sBrood

Robin'sBrood Flock Mistress

May 8, 2008
    North Carolina
    Quote:My SLW roo had a lot more white, especially in his wing feathers, than my hen did when they were chicks. Look in the pic above, see the pullet on the bottom right and how much darker her coloring is than the SLW cockerel's? Look for large patches of white on the wings for the boys. Hope that helps!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by