Silver Laced Wyandotte Sexing

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by MRoberts7, Feb 18, 2015.

1. MRoberts7

MRoberts7 Out Of The Brooder

Feb 18, 2015
    Hello! I was wondering if anyone could help me determine the sex of these chicks? I ordered a box of pullets and got 8 warming chicks (SLW) in addition. Really hoping some of them are pullets as well. Some (6) have very flat spots where the others (2) have small combs. They are 3 weeks 2 days. Do you think there is a difference in sex or just speed of development? Thanks for any help![​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Egghead_Jr

Egghead_Jr Overrun With Chickens

Oct 16, 2010
    NEK, VT
    Chicks are vent sexed at the hatchery. All packing peanuts are males. You've less than 10% chance they made a mistake.

Six of them are Wyandotte, the other two single combs I don't know what they are at this age.

3. MRoberts7

Feb 18, 2015
    So are you saying the ones with the single combs may just be a different breed? Not Silver laced wyandottes?

4. HighStreetCoop

HighStreetCoop Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 28, 2014
    Oakland, CA
    My Coop
    And yet pretty much everyone I know gets incorrectly sexed cockerels when ordering pullets, LOL!

5. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    Both types of chicks are Silver Laced Wyandottes, just hatchery quality ones. Wyandottes are supposed to have the flat combs (known as rose combs), but occasionally, single combed specimens pop up in lesser show quality lines, such as from hatcheries. Three weeks is a little young to tell gender accurately, especially with rose combed breeds. However, the single combed chick pictured is looking suspiciously cockerelish.

Last edited: Feb 18, 2015
  6. Michael OShay

Michael OShay Chicken Obsessed

May 14, 2014
    Montana
    I agree.

7. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    Agree they're probably all Wyandottes. Straight combs are recessive to rose combs, so they crop up from time to time especially in hatchery stock. Doesn't have anything to do with gender.

8. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    I think that they are all Wyandottes, too. It is too young to be sure on gender. I'd post some more photos in a couple more weeks.

9. MRoberts7

Feb 18, 2015
    That's great to know. Thank you all for the info. Bc of the difference, I assumed it had something to do with gender. I'm so new to chickens and there is SO much to learn! And truthfully, I am hoping for some of that 10% margin of error. We can't have roosters and my 5 kiddos are super attached already. I'll wait a while and post pics of the 8 SLW when they are a bit bigger. Maybe then we can know for sure. Aside from after they start crowing what age would you say it's easiest to tell? ;)

10. Michael OShay

Michael OShay Chicken Obsessed

May 14, 2014
    Montana
    I would suggest posting their pics again in about 5-6 weeks. By then their gender should be much more obvious.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by