Silver laced Wyandotte still not laying!!!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Ela, Dec 21, 2010.

1. Ela

Ela New Egg

May 11, 2010
    I have a silver laced wyandotte that is now almost 9 months old and still not laying. I have 4 other chickens that are the same age that lay nearly every day. They are different breads and all seem to be very healthy. Is there reason to be concerned?

Thanks.

2. CMV

CMV Flock Mistress

Apr 15, 2009
    Probably not, but keep an eye on her. She will lay when she is ready. If she is going to have laying issues there is not much that can be done about it. If you observe some changes in her behavior that indicate she is in distress, then it's time to start worrying.

One of my EEs was about 38 weeks old before she started laying. Her "sister" started laying almost 2 months earlier. They all have their own timetable.

Good luck.

3. Morgan7782

Morgan7782 Dense Egg Goo

Mar 22, 2010
    Sacramento CA
    Yep I have a 9 month old Barred Rock and 9 month old EE no squatting or anything. They have red but not too big combs, but it's a little bit off I think. My splash wyandotte just laid yesterday for the first time and she is about 7-8 months.

4. dsqard

dsqard Crazy "L" Farms

Jun 11, 2010
    York PA
    I agree with keeping an eye on her but not worrying too much. I have an 8 month old SLW that doesn't look like she is ready to lay yet. Her two "sisters" a GLW and another SLW have been laying for a little while. I will probably have to wait until the days start getting longer for her to start I am guessing. I have a splash Ameraucana who is a month older and is not laying yet either. They both seem perfectly happy and healthy, just not ready yet.

5. feathersnuggles

feathersnuggles Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 4, 2009
    Seattle
    Last year my blue wyandotte was 40 weeks old before she began laying; the rest of the flock had already been laying for several months. I think, if a bird comes into point-of-lay during the darkest days of the year, their oviduct may just hold off until the daylight begins lengthening again. Anyway, now we're turning the corner on this -- if you're in the northern hemisphere, daylight starts lengthening tomorrow. With my BW, she laid her first egg about 3 weeks *after* winter solstice.

I also felt my blue wyandotte matured much more slowly than the others. She a big pouffy beach-ball of a bird.

6. peacockfarmer1

peacockfarmer1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 11, 2010
    probably because it is so cold the hen will lay in spring

7. Noora

Noora Out Of The Brooder

Aug 24, 2014
    I have 2 SLWs and s BLWs almost one year and not laying yet. Every thing seems ok, no stress, healthy, well grown but no eggs! other breeds are laying and all are in the same place. How long shall I wait? the BLWs are 14 month while the SLW are 8 months old.

8. rebrascora

rebrascora Overrun With Chickens

Feb 14, 2014
    Consett Co.Durham. UK
    Hi Noora

How do you know they are not laying, if you have other hens?

If the BLW are 14 months and have never laid, then it might be best if you post photos of them, otherwise they will probably have knocked off laying to moult..
    At 8 months with the GLWs it is probably just because they have matured at the darkest time of the year and that often delays onset of laying but they should start soon.

Another possibility is that their diet is deficient in something they need to be productive. What do you feed them?

Do you free range? If so they could have a secret nest that they are hoarding eggs in.

9. Noora

Noora Out Of The Brooder

Aug 24, 2014
    My chickens are free range and here are some photos

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

10. rebrascora

rebrascora Overrun With Chickens

Feb 14, 2014
    Consett Co.Durham. UK
    Hi again Noora

It's difficult to make much out in the photos because of the poor light, but they appear to have reasonably red combs....they look like single combs which is unusual for wyandottes.. Are these the 14 month old ones and have they ever laid? I would expect 14 month old hens to be moulting about now and therefore not be laying, but if they really have never laid then that suggests there is something seriously amiss.
    You didn't answer the question about what you feed them and also how you know those ones aren't laying, particulary when you have other productive hens?...Perhaps the other hens lay different coloured eggs, but I'm just trying to make sure you are not overlooking something. I'm trying to understand your situation so that myself and others here can help you figure out what is going wrong, but with only a small amount of information it's difficult.

What sort or area to they free range in (garden, open land/neighbourhood, pastures, woodland etc) and do they free range every day? If so, you might try keeping them in for a few days/week to see if you start getting eggs from them in the official nest boxes. Could they be laying in a neighbours garden and them be collecting the eggs and not saying anything? Diet is really important and quite a lot of people feed too much scratch which can make chickens fat and that can seriously affect not only egg production but their overall health.

Regards

Barbara

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by