silver laced wyandotte x white plymouth rock

prairie winds

Hatching
9 Years
Dec 16, 2010
If I cross a slw roo to a white ply rock hen, will this cross put enough silver influnce in their offspring pullets to breed to RIR roo and get sex links
I haven't heard of this cross and was just wondring if it would work out before I go to the trouble.
Thanks

We need RAREROO in on this one or Chris09, or tadkerson. All three have this knowledge.

Last edited:
White Rock hens are recessive white, at least from what i've heard. You will have no way to tell what the hen is masking under the white so it is'nt a sure way to get sexlinks. For example, if the hen was masking black (which means she is geneticly black with two copies of recessive white), all the offspring would be black with one copy of recessive white. If you breed the black offspring to a RIR rooster you would get half black( with red leakege) and half sexlinks, with one third of the sexlinks being laced.

Last edited:
Quote:
They were wanting to know if adding Silver Laced Wyandotte to the White Rock would make the offspring a silver base to breed to the Red rooster. I've got a note in to takerson since he's the sexlink expert. Not saying tough that you don't know either, he's the one that wrote the sticky.

Quote:
They were wanting to know if adding Silver Laced Wyandotte to the White Rock would make the offspring a silver base to breed to the Red rooster. I've got a note in to takerson since he's the sexlink expert. Not saying tough that you don't know either, he's the one that wrote the sticky.

That would depend on what the hen is masking under white. If it was something like silver columbian then it would work, but like I said there is no way to tell unless you developed your own strain.

Last edited:
It would depend on what the White hens were masking, even solid black and barred birds are Silver or Gold based, but the black usually overides all the pattern genes and doesnt show the sexlinkage. If just the White hens were masking silver Columbian or Penciling, then that alone would be enought to make the sexlinks with out having to breed in the SL roo and using their daughters, so worst case senario with that cross would be the hens masking black or barring which they most likely are, then you would get mostly black colored chicks and since the father was silver, then the pullets would be Silver as well so they would be black with what ever leakage they have being silver. But since the leakage can be unpredictable it would make it hard to really give you an answer. Or yes technically you would get sexlinks by doing that, even breeding RIR with a Silver based Black would give you technical sexlinks, the amount of extended black just messes up the ability of sexing them as day olds and I would imagine it would be about the same in the cross that you are describing.

So that would be the worst case senario that could be predicted without doing it first and without knowing if there was a slim chance of your Whites were masking Columbian or Silver Penciled.

Quote:
I did not read the string above so please excuse me if I repeat information posted by others. Every one of the female offspring will carry the silver gene. Females can only carry the silver gene or a gold gene- they are not like males which can carry a silver and a gold gene.

If the female offspring have silver chipmunk down ( pseudo-wild type) or whitish down ( like in wheaten) then they can be used as the female side of the red sex linked cross. If the females have white down caused by dominant white- then you may or may not use them in a sex linked cross. Dominant white should be expressed as a pure white down with some specs of black in the down or a pure white down. Hatch a few chicks and see what kind of down is expressed in the chicks.

Tim

Quote:
I did not read the string above so please excuse me if I repeat information posted by others. Every one of the female offspring will carry the silver gene. Females can only carry the silver gene or a gold gene- they are not like males which can carry a silver and a gold gene.

If the female offspring have silver chipmunk down ( pseudo-wild type) or whitish down ( like in wheaten) then they can be used as the female side of the red sex linked cross. If the females have white down caused by dominant white- then you may or may not use them in a sex linked cross. Dominant white should be expressed as a pure white down with some specs of black in the down or a pure white down. Hatch a few chicks and see what kind of down is expressed in the chicks.

Tim

So White Rocks are dominant white?

White rock can carry dominant white and recessive white at the same time. Hatcheries that use white rock in sex linked crosses know what traits are hidden under the white.

Tim

Back
Top Bottom