Silver Laced Wyandotte

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by haileesherd, May 23, 2010.

1. haileesherd

haileesherd Out Of The Brooder

Mar 3, 2010
    Hi I was wondering if you could tell me if my Wyandotte is a pullet or a rooster. He/she is about 8 weeks. Thanks

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Pullet, I believe [​IMG] My SLW's usually get some red in their combs early, even the girls. The cockerels are colored differently. You have a girl, IMO.

3. haileesherd

haileesherd Out Of The Brooder

Mar 3, 2010
    Ok thanks. I ordered her as a pullet from McMurray, but she seems aggressive as compared to all the other chicks we have. Is that a breed trait?

4. speckledhen

My SLWs were a little bossy, but still good girls.

5. MikasGirl

MikasGirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 17, 2009
    Coos Bay, OR
    I got 2 GLWs last year. One of them is pretty calm and sweet. The other one is aggressive towards our birds. Which is why we are rehoming her. Some birds turn out good, others not so good. Good luck!

6. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

I would say roo.....from the body stance and the amount of red in the comb and wattles. My pullets don't get any red until much later.

Mine are all sweet birds, but I think the hatchery ones tend to be a bit more agressive.

7. ellieroo

ellieroo Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 22, 2008
    Have to go with hen! She looks like all 6 of mine! [​IMG]

8. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

I think whenever someone posts asking for the gender of their chicks there should be a rule that they comeback and update us all so we'll know whether we're right or wrong! [​IMG]

9. speckledhen

I agree with Katy! It's not really so much being right or wrong; sexing is really an art and some birds have conflicting traits. It's fun to know what they turn out to be, though.

10. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

Quote:Yes, not really about right or wrong....I'm just always curious how I did. Very true about them having conflicting traits. I think that can be very true between hatchery stock and breeder stock. Sometimes it's kind of like comparing apples and oranges.....both fruit, but not the same.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by