1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

silver laced wyandotte?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by City Chicken, Sep 26, 2012.

1. City Chicken

City Chicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 25, 2012
    here are the picks. what do you think? if they are developing 'pretty' green feathers on their tails does that mean they are cockerels? or do the hens have those too?i don't want to process anyone who will lay me an egg...

[​IMG]
    (front bird)

[​IMG]
    (middle bird)

2. Sphinx

Sphinx Chillin' With My Peeps

May 10, 2010
    Utah
    It looks kind of roo-ish to me.

Reason being, the wings are looking pretty solid in color. I've noticed pullets tend to have lacing all over, and cockerels have chunks of solid color.

I could be wrong though.

3. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    The second bird is a cockerel. The first bird I think is one, but can't see quite well enough. How old is it in that pic?

The barred rocks in the first pic are also cockerels, and I'd guess the buff bird where you can only see the tail in that first pic is also a roo. And depending on age, the brown/partridge bird in the second pic looks like a roo.

4. City Chicken

Aug 25, 2012
    they are about 17 wks, all of them. i think that the white wyandotte is a pulet from better pics that i have shown on another post. but i think all the others may be roo's and i need to be sure!

5. City Chicken

Aug 25, 2012
    oh and yes, we have two buff orps. one has that fancy tail, the other does not, so i'm guessing the other is a pulet?

6. PeakyBeaky

PeakyBeaky Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 27, 2010
    Bellefonte, PA
    I agree, second one is a rooster-can't see the first one enough to tell.

7. janinepeters

janinepeters Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 9, 2009
    If they are 17 wks, I think both wyandottes are pullets, especially if from a hatchery. Hatchery SLW's that I have had, varied a lot in color pattern. Some hens had breasts almost pure white, and others had a lot of black. I think by 17 wks you would see obvious saddle and hackle, and probably at least some attempt to crow.

8. City Chicken

Aug 25, 2012
    today i went out and saw a distinction in the three. one has fancy tail feathers, the other two do not. this happened almost over night! i bet that one fancy guy is the roo.
    no crowing yet, but as soon as they do we have a problem since i'm in the city. i have at least 5 roo's out there, maybe 6 and none have crowed yet. could be that they just don't know how. they are still chirping.
    ha.

9. AlicesSilkies

AlicesSilkies Chillin' With My Peeps

What lovley birds! Mu wyandotte looks like this for you to compare

[​IMG]

Sorry my chicken dotties was a camera hogger, lol.

[​IMG]
    Hope that helped

10. City Chicken

Aug 25, 2012
    thanks. and when did yours start laying? are they good winter layers?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by