Silver Laced Wyandotte

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Lybe8438, Dec 24, 2013.

1. Lybe8438

Lybe8438 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 27, 2013
    Enumclaw,WA
    My Rhode Island red decided to go broody so I bought some day olds from a friend to let her raise. She did a fantastic job and all seven survived. I decided to keep one of the silver laced Wyandotte chicks because I really like their coloring and I didn't have one yet. Can anyone tell me if it's a boy or a girl? Sorry for the bad pics....it was getting dark out and I didn't have much light. I can try for better pictures tomorrow if it's too hard to tell. Anyways any help would be greatly appreciated! Hope everyone has a Merry Christmas!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Egghead_Jr

Egghead_Jr Overrun With Chickens

Oct 16, 2010
    NEK, VT
    The comb is rather large and red for such a young bird. Hackle feathers look pointed too. Cockerel.

3. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    How old is it? I would tentatively guess cockerel for now, based on comb size/redness and coloring (patchy on the wings, hackles appear pointed). But Wyandottes are always difficult to tell for sure until they're older, so I would wait a few weeks and see.

4. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    Looks like a pullet to me, but Wyandottes can be difficult to sex.

5. Lybe8438

Lybe8438 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 27, 2013
    Enumclaw,WA
    Thanks for the help! I sure hope it's a pullet since we cant have any roosters.

6. Lady of McCamley

Lady of McCamley Overrun With Chickens

Mar 19, 2011
    NW Oregon
    I think it looks like a pullet for now...the "pointy" hackles are just the coloring on the hackles (I think), and don't fret over that comb. I had one that was just like that...a bit pinker and "horseshoe" like...but the males I compared to were redder and even fleshier.

Just watch and wait...the only thing that concerns me a little as to roo is the white patch on the wing...if that gets bigger, and the coloring goes more patchwork quilt like rather than the lacing developing...then it will be a roo...and that comb will take off and get truly red and fleshy.

Good luck
    Lady of McCamley

7. Sphinx

Sphinx Chillin' With My Peeps

May 10, 2010
    Utah

Agreed. That white patch on the wing worries me a little.

8. I think it is quite questionable on his or her's gender at this point, so would just wait and see..

Last edited: Dec 25, 2013
  9. CCCCCCCCHICKENS

CCCCCCCCHICKENS Overrun With Chickens

Dec 3, 2012
    Indiana
    the only thing that is making me think cockerel a little is its coloring, but for now I am leaning more towards pullet

10. PeakyBeaky

PeakyBeaky Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 27, 2010
    Bellefonte, PA
    How old? Looks like a pullet so far.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by