Silver Laced Wyandotte

Lybe8438

Chirping
6 Years
Mar 27, 2013
Enumclaw,WA
My Rhode Island red decided to go broody so I bought some day olds from a friend to let her raise. She did a fantastic job and all seven survived. I decided to keep one of the silver laced Wyandotte chicks because I really like their coloring and I didn't have one yet. Can anyone tell me if it's a boy or a girl? Sorry for the bad pics....it was getting dark out and I didn't have much light. I can try for better pictures tomorrow if it's too hard to tell. Anyways any help would be greatly appreciated! Hope everyone has a Merry Christmas!

How old is it? I would tentatively guess cockerel for now, based on comb size/redness and coloring (patchy on the wings, hackles appear pointed). But Wyandottes are always difficult to tell for sure until they're older, so I would wait a few weeks and see.

I think it looks like a pullet for now...the "pointy" hackles are just the coloring on the hackles (I think), and don't fret over that comb. I had one that was just like that...a bit pinker and "horseshoe" like...but the males I compared to were redder and even fleshier.

Just watch and wait...the only thing that concerns me a little as to roo is the white patch on the wing...if that gets bigger, and the coloring goes more patchwork quilt like rather than the lacing developing...then it will be a roo...and that comb will take off and get truly red and fleshy.

Good luck
Lady of McCamley

I think it looks like a pullet for now...the "pointy" hackles are just the coloring on the hackles (I think), and don't fret over that comb. I had one that was just like that...a bit pinker and "horseshoe" like...but the males I compared to were redder and even fleshier.

Just watch and wait...the only thing that concerns me a little as to roo is the white patch on the wing...if that gets bigger, and the coloring goes more patchwork quilt like rather than the lacing developing...then it will be a roo...and that comb will take off and get truly red and fleshy.

Good luck
Lady of McCamley

Agreed. That white patch on the wing worries me a little.

Back
Top Bottom