Silver laced wyandotte?

sferle

Chirping
5 Years
Apr 22, 2014
Just got this pair off craigslist , the female looks to me like something else.. I could be wrong but her tail is high she is going thought a molt approx. 1year old

Well, for one thing, those both look like roosters. The first isn't a wyandotte, or at least not a pure one... tail is WAY too high. Second, maybe.

Both are probably hatchery quality Wyandottes. The hen looks similar to my Silver Laced, albeit a little thinner and with a taller tail. Lots of hatchery Wyandottes lack the true round, fluffy shape of a purebred, show quality bird.

Last edited:
Are both of them standard/large fowl sized? If large fowl, then both are hatchery quality Silver Laced Wyandottes. If the first one is a bantam, then she is a hatchery quality Silver Sebright.

Last edited:
was told the hen is laying .. it was all taped up when I got the box so didn't get a good look..crap makes me mad

I have 8 pullets and 1 roo to breed I was hoping to have another set

Well, it still might be. For a hen in molt, her face is awfully red, but she might just be a very masculine hen. You'll know for sure when her molt is done.

I think that you do have a hen. She is very masculine in appearance, but I'm not seeing the normal Silver-laced male color pattern, and there aren't any pointy hackle (neck) feathers or saddle feathers present.

She is a year old..I am pretty sure she is a mix ..till she gets her feathers I cant tell for sure..not a normal size hen ..i will get closer pictures

I'm thinking she's not molting, it's too much lovin'. She sure doesn't look like a Wyandotte, but if you put her under that rooster most folks won't know the difference in the chicks.

Back
Top Bottom