Silver Laced Wyandottes.....are they both males?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Hezz, Mar 1, 2012.

1. Hezz

Hezz Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 1, 2012
    Poconos, Pennsylvania
    I got these little guys(?) when they were about 4-5 weeks old. They are now around 9 weeks. The one I am almost positive is a male, but the other is questionable. I have another that has a smaller comb, and it's still pinkish in color, but these two are constantly causing a ruckus in the box, and I noticed that both of the combs are quite red, and larger than the other one. They were supposed to be pullets, but apparently not. They also seem to be a bit aggresive toward each other and the pullets.

What do you guys think, both cockerels, or one cockerel and a pullet?

The top two pics are of the one in question, the bottom two are of the one i'm quite positive is a cockerel.

[​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]

2. Silkie Chick

Silkie Chick Chillin' With My Peeps

Those could be silver-laced sebrights... If so it could explain their aggresion. How small are they? The one in the second photo could be a female, but the rest look like boys.

3. AuberyMirkwood

AuberyMirkwood Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 24, 2011
    Clovis NM
    I vote two boys. Because of the early redness and the slow feathering :)

4. Hezz

Mar 1, 2012
    Poconos, Pennsylvania
    Silkie Chick,

The one in the second photo is the same bird as the one in the first photo. The top two photos are the one I wasn't sure about, and the bottom two photos are the one I was quite sure of.

5. PeakyBeaky

PeakyBeaky Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 27, 2010
    Bellefonte, PA
    I'd say both boys based on how their combs look and posture.

6. aoxa

aoxa Overrun With Chickens

Both look like cockerels to me. [​IMG] Here is my girl at the same age [​IMG] [​IMG] a couple of weeks older.. [​IMG] last week. She still isn't laying :/ Hurry up Dott! She's 7 months old now :barnie

7. Silkie Chick

Silkie Chick Chillin' With My Peeps

:th Whoops. Sorry, I was a little tired. That sick baby chick takes more out of me than I thought . :fl I am just very sidetracked hoping it will survive. Should have read your post better, my response is very confusing... I am a little confused myself.

8. Hezz

Mar 1, 2012
    Poconos, Pennsylvania
    Thanks everyone. I thought I was correct, but was a bit confused because the first one doesn't have a whole lot of white on it, as a matter of fact he has very little white on him, but the comb gave it away. LOL!

I have someone coming to pick them up today. No roo's allowed to bother my hens! Haha!

Aoxa, She is a beautiful hen! I hope mine grows up as pretty!

Last edited: Mar 2, 2012
  9. AuberyMirkwood

AuberyMirkwood Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 24, 2011
    Clovis NM
    Hezz, you should keep him until that first crow just in case :) You never know, I've had few I was sure were roos urn out to be hens.

10. helkat

helkat Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 21, 2008
    Lehigh Valley, Pa
    Hezz! It was great meeting you today!! Thanks so much for the ? boys!!!

Just so you can rest assured that they're in a good home, here's the scene at our house right now:

They're hangin' out on the couch with the kiddos!!
    [​IMG][​IMG]

Thanks again!
    Helga

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by