Silver Laced Wyandottes - Are they roos??

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by steffpeck, Jun 7, 2008.

1. steffpeck

steffpeck Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2007
    Erda, UT
    I ordered 2 SLW pullets from Meyer hatchery, and then while I was at the feed store, they had some chicks marked as Americanas - Straight run, so I picked 3 from the bunch they had, I figured that I would get at least 1 pullet out of 3. Well I noticed they looked just like my SLW I ordered from Meyer, so I figured that Meyer had sent me Americanas instead of SLW. Well, it turns out they are all SLW and I think all 3 that I got from the feed store are roos. Just my luck [​IMG] Here are pictures of all 5 of them, can you tell me what you think. The first 3 are the feed store ones and I think they are about 5 weeks old, the last 2 are the ones from Meyer ordered as pullets and they are just over 4 weeks old. Also, can anyone tell me what it is up with the 4th ones neck?? It is missing feathers and it dry and almost scaley, it is nasty looking!! (I will also post in the emergiences/diseases section about the neck). Thank you for your help!

#1 - Roo?
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

#2- Roo?
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

#3- Roo?
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

#4- Pullet?
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

#5- Pullet?
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Mrs MIA

Mrs MIA Chick Magnet

Mar 3, 2008
    [​IMG]
    They sure as heck look like SLWs to me. Not sure about #1,2 but #3, if it's the same age, looks like a roo - the wattles are bigger.
    I think that Ameracaunas are becoming the "catch-all" breed... if they don't know what it is, that's what they call it. [​IMG]
    SLWs are pretty birds... you got lucky!

3. Chickndaddy

Chickndaddy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 26, 2007
    East Texas
    The first three 'look' like roos and the last two look like pullets. Probably can't be 100% for sure but definitely lean that way.

4. dangerouschicken

dangerouschicken Will Barter For Coffee

May 6, 2007
    Columbia Gorge, OR
    Those do look like SLW. Not sure which are roos. I think you are gonna need another week or two on that [​IMG]

The scaly neck situation I just don't know.....

5. BearSwampChick

BearSwampChick Chicken Sensei

Jan 10, 2008
    Marysville, OH
    Here's my SLW at 5 1/2 weeks

Henry
    [​IMG]

Henrietta, the pullet
    [​IMG]

Hope it helps. [​IMG]

6. steffpeck

Mar 25, 2007
    Erda, UT
    Thanks!! #3 looks like it has bigger wattles and a little redder than the others, so maybe, I will luck out and get 1 roo and the rest pullets.

7. pbjmaker

pbjmaker Overrun With Chickens

May 9, 2008
    Central Iowa
    Maybe #4 wants to be a naked neck??? Wasn't there a thread on naked neck X's? Maybe she read it:D

8. GwenFarms

GwenFarms Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 26, 2008
    I'd say #3 is your roo.

9. steffpeck

Mar 25, 2007
    Erda, UT
    Quote:LOL! That is the first thing that came to my mind.

10. pbjmaker

pbjmaker Overrun With Chickens

May 9, 2008
    Central Iowa
    Really - I hope it is nothing serious. It reminds me of what my daughter's ecsema(sp) looked like when she was little.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by