Silver Laced Wyandottes from Ideal.....or something else?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by Andrea72, Mar 4, 2013.

1. Andrea72

Andrea72 Out Of The Brooder

Feb 6, 2013
    Florida
    I ordered some SLWs from Ideal. And am concerned that a few of them may not be pure bred. While only three of them are showing the typical SLW plumage....3 of them are almost solid black...except for tiny slivers of white. At what age should you be able to tell? Mine are 4 weeks on March 7th. Sorry, pics are from my crappy phone.
    [​IMG]

2. Andrea72

Feb 6, 2013
    Florida
    No one???

3. SD Bird Lady

SD Bird Lady Chillin' With My Peeps

I don't know about wyandottes. However, I ordered from ideal and won't again. The brahmas I ordered have very small heads and are smutty colored and the Cayuga ducks have white on their chest. I was much more pleased with my stock from cackle.

So in conclusion they are probably from wyandotte parents but are very poor quality.

4. Andrea72

Feb 6, 2013
    Florida
    Ugh. I was afraid of that. May have to try Cackle then. :(

5. tadkerson

tadkerson Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 19, 2008
    Missouri
    I would wait until they are adults to pass judgement. Hatcheries do not sell quality birds- you will have to some selective breeding to get them close to the standard.

You will most likely have some birds that have single combs but that is not unusual for wyandottes.

Tim

Last edited: Mar 5, 2013
  6. Andrea72

Feb 6, 2013
    Florida
    I will wait but i'm pretty sure they are not high quality. :( I guess since hatcheries are out of the question then I need to look elsewhere. An individual maybe? Any ideas where to start?

7. SD Bird Lady

SD Bird Lady Chillin' With My Peeps

Look for the wyandotte page on here. Also check in the Buy Sell Trade area.

Sorry for the disappointment. I knew hatcheries weren't top quality but I figured the birds would resemble the breed they are supposed to be. The birds I got from cackle are atleast half way there. A starting point for a novice. The ones I got from ideal are the same color but not in the right spots or right amounts and the type isn't even in the ball park.

8. Andrea72

Feb 6, 2013
    Florida
    I wonder why they sell less than quality birds? Is there a better hatchery? Wonder if it would do any good to complain? I still have my receipt. :)

9. encorepistol

encorepistol Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2009
    MO
    They dont breed to standard. They breed for numbers. Never seen a hatchery that breeds for type. Youll have to find an individual and even then be careful as people on ebay claim to have show stock or excellent birds that dont resemble anything of the sort. Do your homework and ask for lots of pics of their birds. Youll find some good birds here if you look around.

10. Andrea72

Feb 6, 2013
    Florida
    Thank you. Learning as I go!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by