1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

silver laced wyandottes--hatchery stock

Discussion in 'Chicken Breeders & Hatcheries' started by Dead Rabbit, Jan 17, 2014.

1. Dead Rabbit

Dead Rabbit Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2010
    Virginia
    any suggestions on hatchery stock SLW?

im looking for not only health, but body type and feather coloration. any experiences please. id really like personal experiences. not speculations. thanks.

2. popsicle

popsicle Chillin' With My Peeps

I've had SLW from Welp and Cackle.

The Welp (so Privett, I guess) bird was huge, had nice-enough lacing for me, and gave me 3 or 4 large eggs a week.

The Cackle bird is small, has poor lacing, and gives me 5 or 6 small eggs a week. She's not a bantam, they don't sell bantam SLW. So I'm not really sure what the deal is.

I'll try to upload some photos later.

ETA: Here is the Welp hen:
    [​IMG] With a Black Jersey Giant, hatchery New Hampshire Red and a California white.

[​IMG]

I'll keep looking for some images of my Cackle SLW, or I'll take some tomorrow.

Last edited: Jan 17, 2014
  3. Xovan

Xovan Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 9, 2013
    Oneida County , NY
    Last April we got 5 SLW's and 5 GLW's from Cackle we also got 10 BLRW's from a breeder. Well the silver are a lot smaller and their lacing is poor at best. They're healthy and have handled the cold quite well this winter. They also have laid well during the winter. I believe due to their smaller size they fly quite well also. I had to clip 3 of the 5 's wings. Now the GLW's are Almost show quality. Big with nice lacing. They also lay quite regularly and have been fine with the cold. I will get some pics in the morning for you. I was in your boat this time last year and went with Cackle. I couldn't find many pics of Their birds as adults. So I want to be helpful if I can.

4. blucoondawg

blucoondawg Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 27, 2013
    Northern Wisconsin
    I've got 3 SLW hens from McMurray, they are around the same size as my New Hampshire Reds, the color is good, nice looking birds.

5. Dead Rabbit

Apr 28, 2010
    Virginia
    thanks so far. i appreciate the help. esp. the photos. any more pics would be great.

i contacted https://www.thepoultryhatchery.com/Day-Old-Standard-Poultry-Breeds/Day-Old-Chicks-Wyandottes and asked about the quality of theirs and they claim their birds win alot of awards/ribbons at shows and fairs, and they breed for standard too.
    sadly their fowl is just for local pickup. i guess its too cold for shipping?? and thier shipping costs is ridiculousness.

it looks like Welp has best prices, but im willing to pay for good fowl. even from a breeder. but im not finding one that has any available right now.

6. Dead Rabbit

Apr 28, 2010
    Virginia
    @POPSICLE............good looking birds. im liking the looks of the welp hen. but that jersey giant doesnt look to giant to me. is she larger than the photo shows. i do like the NHamshire red though.

7. popsicle

popsicle Chillin' With My Peeps

The Jersey Giant is my largest bird. The photo may have been taken when she was molting--I don't recall. I haven't weighed her. I got the NH off Craigslist and so I don't know her origin--she was delicious.

If you go to the Cackle website, you can see videos of their breeder flocks--my SLW looks like the poorly laced ones--where the breast is more spangled than laced. I'm very happy with her laying, and with my other Cackle birds.

Also, what about Horstman?
    http://horstmanspoultry.com/largefowlhome/silverlacedwyandotte.html

8. RoostersCrow HensDeliver!

RoostersCrow HensDeliver! Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2011
    SE Michigan
    Here are my two silver laced from Meyer Hatchery
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Their lacing is not great with a lot of mossy-ness in the hind end but their body type is okay, they lay pretty good too. There are other birds in the "Meyer Hatchery chicken pics anyone?" Thread to hat have great lacing and pretty good body type. You can view all the pictures in the bar to very right of the screen.

I also have 3 columbian Wyandottes that have not started laying yet, one has a single comb, their color is pretty good but they are really small for LF birds.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    The Wyandotte is below with my big Delaware above.

Edited for spelling

Last edited: Jan 30, 2014
  9. Dead Rabbit

Apr 28, 2010
    Virginia
    anyone with experience or thoughts on SLW from Mt Healthy and/or IDEAL?

10. akelley

akelley Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 6, 2013
    Conroe, TX
    I have SLW from IDEAL. They are a decent size, but their lacing is pretty poor. They are not laying yet, but several of them look like they're close to it at 21 weeks. I don't have any recent pics, sorry. I am pleased with them, but I'm just in it for eggs and meat.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by