Silver laced Wyandottes or Barred Rocks

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Wtrmutt, Apr 13, 2012.

1. Wtrmutt

Wtrmutt Out Of The Brooder

Mar 18, 2012
    I bought what were supposed to be SL wyandottes at a TS swap, now that their single combs are obvious, what are they? Plus, any guesses at sex?[​IMG]

[​IMG]

1 1/2 weeks, plus the others were supposed to be Speckled Sussex, I hope
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    5 weeks

2. StarLover21

StarLover21 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 11, 2011
    100% barred rocks, 100% girls. Boys don't get that color, and they have small yellow combs. And yes, the others ones are speckled sussex and also look like girls.

1 person likes this.
  3. chicmom

chicmom Dances with Chickens

Feb 24, 2009
    Strasburg Ohio
    You've got two barred rocks, and those are definitely not Silver Laced Wyandottes. They don't look like Golden Laced Wyandottes either, because of their white bellies.

I think you've got a couple of speckled sussex chicks there. Often, the speckled sussex will have a white belly while feathering out. And they also have white legs, like your chicks.

That's my guess. I've had all of the breeds you've mentioned. It's amazing how chicks transform as they grow, and end up with a totally new look. Their feathers really change.

Sharon

4. Wtrmutt

Mar 18, 2012
    Thank you thank you. I am loving them all and really hope for all girls.

5. Coop Deville

Coop Deville Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 19, 2012
    Your barred rocks are pullets. I'm not too familiar with the speckled sussex breed, so I won't venture to guess.

6. Wtrmutt

Mar 18, 2012
    Thank you!! I could not be happier, and I don't think Frances or Sally could be either. We have gotten rather attached to each other
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by