1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Silver Laced Wyandottes : Tell me about the breed

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by KristyAz, Aug 14, 2011.

1. KristyAz

KristyAz Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 29, 2011
    Mishawaka, Indiana
    I have a SLW, hatchery type from Ideal. I've had her since she was a few days old and she was hatched around 2/20. She is going on 6 months old, and she hasn't filled out fully yet. How do these mature, are they slow to fully fill out?

If you have a 6 month old, I'd love to see a picture.

2. <3ChickenForever

<3ChickenForever Fire Is Catching

Feb 20, 2011
    WI
    I have a GLW that's.. ermm... 17-18 weeks? Ya sounds right. My GLW is a hen. I don't have good pics.

I will try to get some tomorrow, but here's one.

[​IMG]

(I know, not a good pick when she's preening.) [​IMG]

3. PeakyBeaky

PeakyBeaky Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 27, 2010
    Bellefonte, PA
    Quote:Wyandottes take a longer time to mature than most-they don't reach full size/development until they are 18 months old. Check out the Wyandotte thread if you need to see photos-Katy has some really nice SLW, as do a few others [​IMG]

4. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

Since she's a hatchery type she more than likely will never fill out like you're hoping. They are a slow maturing breed, but that is one of the things that seems to be lacking with hatchery birds....the full round body type that a wyandotte should have.

ETA: The pullet in my avatar is about 6 months old.

Last edited: Aug 15, 2011
  5. KristyAz

KristyAz Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 29, 2011
    Mishawaka, Indiana
    Mine is much smaller than the one in your avatar. Oh, when do they start laying?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by