1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Silver Laced Wyandottes that hate straw/hay?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by loribfrank, Dec 13, 2012.

1. loribfrank

loribfrank New Egg

Dec 13, 2012
    We have 8 Silver Laced Wyandottes. These are a new breed for us and we've had them since April when they were pullets.
    We've tried a couple times to put hay or straw in their coop as bedding and they absolutely hate it!

We tried again today as the weather is getting colder and we thought some hay would help keep them a little warmer at night.
    The protesting started immediately! So much complaining! Eventually they put themselves to bed but two of them refused to go into the coop. My husband had to catch them and force them into the coop for the night.

Is this normal for this breed? The last time we tried to put hay in their coop they went into the coop and kicked every last bit of it out the door very vocally complaining the whole time. It was quite entertaining to watch! But I'm worried as it gets colder they're going to be quite chilly at night without something in there.

Should we try a different type of bedding? Any suggestions?

2. CubCadetGuy

CubCadetGuy New Egg

Dec 14, 2012
    I use crushed corn cob for bedding in my coop for my silver lace Wyandottes and Black Austrolops. They love it and its super absorbent. We found it at Rural King for 3.50 a large bundle.

3. CubCadetGuy

CubCadetGuy New Egg

Dec 14, 2012
    I am trying to find out how long before I can start expecting eggs from my silver laced Wyandottes I got them as pullets late summer and I have yet to get an egg from them. They seem to be smaller than my other chickens so I'm thinking they are bantams. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited: Dec 14, 2012
  4. luvmychicken

luvmychicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 4, 2012
    Southwest Louisiana
    I got my SLW in July. She laid her first last week. Have not seen her lay again. Has she started squatting yet

5. luvmychicken

Dec 4, 2012
    Southwest Louisiana
    I also upped the protein to help with molting from the other hens. That might help

6. Baymule

Baymule Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 1, 2010
    Northeast Texas
    I have 2 SLW hens, our first chickens. [​IMG] They are eye candy, lay nice brown eggs and have personality disorders. [​IMG] Wem later got 3 red sex links and 3 black sex links. The 2 SLW's will never see the stewpot as they were the first and have a hallowed place in our hearts. They are vocal about everything! I put sawdust in the coop, (dirt floor) and they acted like I threw hot lava at them. The sex links got over it before the SLW's did and happilyscratched in the sawdust. The SLW's BA-GAWKED for a good while, finally got tired of hiding on the roost and got down. [​IMG] Enjoy your girls, they are pretty, entertaining and good layers!

7. phalenbeck

phalenbeck Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 14, 2008
    Canton, N.C.
    There is a reason people call them chickens. Mine are afraid of anything that is new. Each fall mine go into a panic when oak leaves are dumped in the pen. They also get upset when clean woodchips replace the old dirty stuff. After a bit of adjustment they will calm down.

8. luvmychicken

Dec 4, 2012
    Southwest Louisiana
    Mine done get upset. They think it is Christmas and go into a scratching fiesta. OOHHH. NEW BUGS!!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by