EDITED AGAIN WITH BETTER PICS ADDED Silver Laced Wyandottes

MamaBelle5

Songster
Jun 23, 2020
Pennsylvania
I can post pictures later but they're hunkered down for the night.

We bought 3 silver laced wyandotte pullets from Rural King. They're, maybe 5 weeks, I'm not 100% sure. Everything is blurring together time wise lately (I have 4 kids in virtual schooling from 6th grade to kindergarten and am losing my mind!).

All three of them have very bright pink combs. Please, someone tell me that silver laced wyandotte pullets HAVE bright combs when they're really young. I could understand if I got straight run and got all cockerels, but if I got pullets and got all cockerels, I'm going to be raging. Thanks for your help!

ETA: They aren't great pics but I grabbed a couple. See tiny little Hedwig there? She's the same age as the ones around her.

Attachments

• PXL_20210512_213106789.jpg
    PXL_20210512_213106789.jpg
    423 KB · Views: 21
  • PXL_20210512_213103965.jpg
    PXL_20210512_213103965.jpg
    405.5 KB · Views: 19
  • PXL_20210512_213007231.jpg
    PXL_20210512_213007231.jpg
    446.3 KB · Views: 19
  • PXL_20210512_212958555.jpg
    PXL_20210512_212958555.jpg
    368 KB · Views: 20
  • PXL_20210512_212952972.jpg
    PXL_20210512_212952972.jpg
    357.4 KB · Views: 18
  • PXL_20210512_212946143.jpg
    PXL_20210512_212946143.jpg
    395.3 KB · Views: 21
Last edited:

We bought 3 silver laced wyandotte pullets from Rural King. They're, maybe 5 weeks, I'm not 100% sure. Everything is blurring together time wise lately (I have 4 kids in virtual schooling from 6th grade to kindergarten and am losing my mind!).

All three of them have very bright pink combs. Please, someone tell me that silver laced wyandotte pullets HAVE bright combs when they're really young. I could understand if I got straight run and got all cockerels, but if I got pullets and got all cockerels, I'm going to be raging. Thanks for your help!
Some included pictures would help...

With the caveat of not having seen photos of your birds yet, then yes Wyandottes do pink up early, even the pullets . This makes them tricky to sex at an early age and best to wait until they are 12 to 16 weeks of age to determine with certainty as this is when the saddle feathers will come in.😊

With the caveat of not having seen photos of your birds yet, then yes Wyandottes do pink up early, even the pullets . This makes them tricky to sex at an early age and best to wait until they are 12 to 16 weeks of age to determine with certainty as this is when the saddle feathers will come in.😊
phew!! I'll be able to sleep easier! But maybe I'll sneak into the brooder and try to snap some pictures anyway. I'm worried about my little Hedwig. She's still eating and drinking and active but about half the size of the other ones but she is growing.

phew!! I'll be able to sleep easier! But maybe I'll sneak into the brooder and try to snap some pictures anyway. I'm worried about my little Hedwig. She's still eating and drinking and active but about half the size of the other ones but she is growing.
She might just came from a small egg. was she smaller when you got her?

She might just came from a small egg. was she smaller when you got her?
No, the three of them were the same size. And they all grew about the same rate until her growth just essentially stopped. I've started giving her nutirdrench and I've noticed a real difference in her size. Before I would say she was closer to a third their size, but now she's closer to half. And she's gotten more feathers in.

No, the three of them were the same size. And they all grew about the same rate until her growth just essentially stopped. I've started giving her nutirdrench and I've noticed a real difference in her size. Before I would say she was closer to a third their size, but now she's closer to half. And she's gotten more feathers in.
Hm, that's quite odd! Well she should boost up in the next couple weeks. I wouldn't worry yet.

Any diarrhea that you have noted?

Back
Top Bottom