Silver Laced Wyandottes...

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Chick15, Jun 30, 2011.

1. Chick15

Chick15 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 21, 2011
    Okay, so right now I have 5 SLW chicks, they are 7 weeks old, and are not showing any signs of developing a crop or waddles, I find it kinda weird that all would be females, so could somebody plz post pics of their SLW chicks at around 7 weeks so I can compare....maybe SLW develop these later than other birds, one of my Speckled Susex roosters is already crowing!!!!
    This is one of them, but they all look pretty much the same...
    [​IMG]
    And this is anothher (black and white one!)
    [​IMG]

2. Katydid2011

Katydid2011 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2011
    West Coast USA
    Here you go [​IMG] --

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

3. lowry075

lowry075 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 29, 2011
    Southern California
    I don't have a picture of my wyandotte, Emma at that age, but the split in her forehead (don't know the correct name) indicates a female. Emma doesn't have anything that sticks up, hers is more like a red flattish lump.

[​IMG]

4. orpingtonbabies

orpingtonbabies Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 17, 2011
    I've never had wyandottes, but I think you just got lucky! [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

5. Arielle

Arielle Chicken Obsessed

Feb 19, 2011
    Massachusetts, USA
    Statistics are an interesting thing. Since gender on chicks is 50-55% male and 45-50% female, according to one reference book, you would think 5 chicks would be 3 boys and 2 girls. But reality is, nature can have a number of possibilities; the few the number the more wild the %'s. So the 50-50 rule really only applies to very large numbers, not 5.

You really could have 5 pullets. Hope that's what you wanted. GL

6. Whiskey Bay

Whiskey Bay Chillin' With My Peeps

What about the rest of the body? Can you post side shot? There is more you can look for than just the comb and wattles.Hackle, saddle, and sickle feathers are good indicators too.I don't have pics as babies to help,but the feathers helped me in sexing.All look pullety to me,except the last one.Still looks pullet,BUT it sems to be redder than the rest.Maybe just the pic though....

7. serenityNH

serenityNH Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 7, 2011
    Raymond, NH
    Quote:Can you explain this more? I never heard of this type of sexing and am curious. Isn't the "red flattish lump" on the forehead just their rose comb or are you talking about something different?
    Thanks!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by