Silver Laced Wyandottes

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by OkieMama87, Oct 21, 2013.

1. OkieMama87

OkieMama87 New Egg

Oct 18, 2013
    Norman, Oklahoma
    Hi Everyone,

Has anyone had any experience raising silver-laced Wyandottes from chicks? I haven't ever had Wyandottes before now but everything I read online said they were pretty gentle. We are kind of having the opposite experience. They are just 5 weeks old now. We have big hens out in the coop but inside we only have two silver laced Wyandottes and two buff Orpingtons. They seem to get along well enough with each other but the little Wyandottes are pretty feisty with people. Every time someone reaches into the brooder you are almost immediately pinched and pecked by these little suckers. It doesn't hurt for now but I am a little worried about how they will be as adults since we have two small kids at home. Are they always like this or are my chicks just special?

Thanks in advance!

2. Veer67

Veer67 Chillin' With My Peeps

[​IMG] Different chick flocks have different characteristics, my Silver Laced Wyandotte wasn't one of the friendliest flock members (she had a very strong wing stroke which could batter your face if you weren't careful) but she was a favorite. Usually when chicks are handled and played with regularly as chicks they will be more tame around people, sometimes it's just the bird. My new baby chicks love pecking at pants, and if the fabric is thin the pecking will hurt a lot, I just shoo them away if they start pecking too hard. Your chicks could be pecking at your finger because they are bored in the brooder, try giving them some clovers/shamrocks, dandelion leaves, chickweed, and fruit, I'm not sure if that will help though. :)

Last edited: Oct 21, 2013
  3. OkieMama87

OkieMama87 New Egg

Oct 18, 2013
    Norman, Oklahoma
    Thank you. I think we will just work on handling them more often. We just took them outside to play for the first time this weekend. The kids were having fun until one of them got pinched a little too hard :/ Hopefully more handling will help!

4. JesNflock

JesNflock Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 11, 2013
    NE Florida,US
    Do you have any pics of the silver-laced wyandottes?

5. Veer67

Veer67 Chillin' With My Peeps

Here are some pictures of my SLW Puzzle:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. JesNflock