Silver laced Wydotte/RIR

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by Domestic_goddess, Nov 12, 2010.

1. Domestic_goddess

Domestic_goddess Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 26, 2009
    Utah
    What do you think they look like? Anyone ever tried it?...do you have pics?

2. Illia

Illia Crazy for Colors

Oct 19, 2009
    Forks, WA
    If the Wyandotte is the female, you'll get Sex Links known as "Cinnamon Queens." They're good layers.

If the Production Red is female, you'll get spangled looking birds that are silver and/or golden. They'll be pretty "mutt-like" in color.

3. RAREROO

RAREROO Overrun With Chickens

Jul 22, 2009
    Alapaha, Ga
    Which way are you wanting to cross?

A RIR roo on SLW hens would give you Sexlinks, the pullets would look a lot like Rose Combed RIRs and the roos would look more columbian colored with some yellowish coloring in them.

A SLW roo on RIR hens would not be sexlinks but the pullets would look similar to Columbian Wuandottes but would probably have more messy black ticking on the back. The roos would be about the same as the above cross.

This is a sexlink pullet that I hatched from a Buff Orp roo and Silver laced Wyandotte hen, she is rose combed and mostly buff with some weak black columbian ticking in the hackles and tail, But if you used a RIR yours would be basicly like this except she would be red instead of buff, have more black ticking becuase RIRs are columbian too, and would have yellow leggs instead of white.
    [​IMG]

4. RAREROO

Jul 22, 2009
    Alapaha, Ga
    Quote:Ugh, No offence to you but I knew someone would bring up those darn Cinnamon Queens, I know there is some book that says it but if by Cinnamon Queens, you are referring to the single combed, red and white hens like Cackle sales, then they can NOT come from that cross of a RIR or NHR roo on a Silver laced Wyandotte.

Firstly the rose combs from the Wyandottes are dominant and so the offspring should have rose combs,the Cin Queens have single combs. Also the white in the Cin Queens is Dominant white, Neither RIRs or SLWs have Dominant white, RIRs dont have white at all and the white color in SLWs is Sexlinked Silver, NOT Dom White.

5. Domestic_goddess

Mar 26, 2009
    Utah
    So I guess I should have clarifield my questions. I have a RIR roo and a SLW hen. Thanks everyone for your responces, I'm thinking about breeding this pair.

6. Illia

Illia Crazy for Colors

Oct 19, 2009
    Forks, WA
    Quote:Ugh, No offence to you but I knew someone would bring up those darn Cinnamon Queens, I know there is some book that says it but if by Cinnamon Queens, you are referring to the single combed, red and white hens like Cackle sales, then they can NOT come from that cross of a RIR or NHR roo on a Silver laced Wyandotte.

Firstly the rose combs from the Wyandottes are dominant and so the offspring should have rose combs,the Cin Queens have single combs. Also the white in the Cin Queens is Dominant white, Neither RIRs or SLWs have Dominant white, RIRs dont have white at all and the white color in SLWs is Sexlinked Silver, NOT Dom White.

We can have debates about the names of Sex Links all day, but the one thing for sure is that it will STILL create a Sex-Link.

7. Domestic_goddess

Mar 26, 2009
    Utah

We can have debates about the names of Sex Links all day, but the one thing for sure is that it will STILL create a Sex-Link.

I am perfectly fine with sex-links! I have enjoyed the 5 that I already have. Thanks everyone for your responces:)

8. RAREROO

Jul 22, 2009
    Alapaha, Ga
    Quote:Yes that is true thats white I just called them into three catagories.

Black Sexlinks ( Non barred roo with barred hens producing barred roos and nonbarred pullets)

Red Sexlinks ( Gold gene roo over Silver gened non dom white hens produceing columbian looking males and females that look like Pro Reds with a BLACK tail.) So to me the OP's sexlinks from a RIR X SLW would fall into this catagory.

And Gold Sexlinks with a Gold gene roo on Silver gene and dom white carrying hens which would give white roos with red leakage and red columbian hens with white instead of black.

Thats how I think it should be to keep it simple, all this mess with Stars, Comets, Queens, ect getts to confusing when there is all kinds of sources with different information or overgeneralizing a particular breed like where some say that whatever kind of sexlinks are from White Rock hens, but they dont clarify that its only certain strains of white rocks that can do that. Other strains may be masking Black, Barring, or Partridge and wouldnt work.

But like you said either way, it would be a sexlink I just dont know know who orginally came up with misinformation that saying that Cin Queens are from Wyandotte hens, becuase I have a book somewhere that says that too, but genetics and my own experience with that pullet I posted disproves that.

So just to clarify there was no arguement with you Iillia, just frustrated to see that you were misinformed by that book or website or where ever you read it like so many others are. I think its just from hatcheries not telling the truth about what the crosses are because they dont want you to breed your own, they want you to buy from them. Ideal actually tells you and Cackle tells how they make the Red and Black Sexlinks, but notice they dont tell how to make the Comets, Stars, and Queens who are all on the same page and I think are all the same cross but just with several snazzy names so at least one of the names will sound cool and make people want to buy them.

But Domestic_goddess, yes from that pairing you will get Rose combed red sexlinks with the hens looking similar to RC RIRs and the roos looking like yellowed up Columbian Wyandottes with probably more black ticking on the back, good luck and please post pics as they grow if you do hatch some.

9. Chickanmanfromarkansas

Chickanmanfromarkansas Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 18, 2010
    I think Golden Comet was made up by Hubbard (the big company of chickens). They I sure will not tell the cross to get them, as I read that it is usually a 4 way cross. Don't know for sure just read it.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by