silver laced wyndottes

csargent27

In the Brooder
7 Years
May 4, 2012
we have 2 wyndottes that we got in june and they have not layed any eggs yet and we are wondering why I make sure they have food and water at all times and they still have not layed an egg how old should they be and what are the signs of a wyndotte laying an egg and what is the color of the eggs thanks

Wyandottes lay brown eggs. Are you sure they aren't laying somewhere sneaky? At 7 months, they are of the age when they could be laying, but I don't think it's anything to be concerned about yet if they haven't laid yet. A sign that they will lay soon is that their combs will darken in color and sometimes they will do a submissive squat when you reach down to touch them. This thread mentions some other signs to look for:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/597295/vent-of-hen-that-is-laying-vs-non-laying

we have them in our basement to keep them safe from the extreme cold that we were getting and I have not seen any brown eggs only from our black chickens which are separated from the rest of our chickens because they attack our red chicken which was attacked by a raccoon last year and survived I will keep an eye out for brown eggs there really is anywhere they can hide

How much light are they getting daily? They should be getting at least 14 hours of light to encourage laying.

Last edited:
we have a light on them all day I turn it on once I wake up in the morning and then I turn the light off at or around 4pm everyday this morning I turned on the light and I went down later and the light stopped working but I had another light on out side the sheet our other chickens have been laying everyday giving us 4 eggs a day

My Wyandotte started laying at 4 and 1/2 months, but she quit during the winter. Maybe because they reached maturity during the winter has something to do with it. The days are starting to get a little longer and she has started laying a few eggs now. BTW the sunrises around 7 and sets around 5 here.

I would increase their lighting gradually by maybe 30 minutes a day until they have 14 hours of light and see if that does the trick. Just because your other hens are still laying under the current lighting conditions doesn't mean these two aren't more sensitive about it. Good luck!

they have started laying and now this morning I go down and notice one of the wyndottes is not moving around like all the other one is this a cause for concern she is still eating and making noises can anyone please let me know thanks

Back
Top Bottom