Silver laced Wyndotts SOP

Discussion in 'Exhibition, Genetics, & Breeding to the SOP' started by Covingtonjt, Jan 8, 2018.

1. Covingtonjt

Covingtonjt In the Brooder

Jan 3, 2018
    Amherst, VA
    I have been looking around for SLW and found someone selling hatching eggs. Of course they are a lot of money but might be worth it if I am unable to locate any chicks. Anyway, the females in the group photo look to have a lot of white on them. I am no where close to the knowledge I want to have but wanted to share to see what folks thought of the birds.

Attached Files:

Lostchicken likes this.
  2. I Love Layers

I Love Layers Crowing

Apr 25, 2015
    North Dakota
    Never buy eggs for breeding or showing unless it is from a reputable breeder and even then its risky because you aren't guranteed a hatch, and you don't know what the offspring will look like. Reputable breeders will rarely if ever sell eggs to the public. Good breeders will sell juvenile birds in the late summer and fall. With juveniles you usually know what you are getting

MillersFarm and Covingtonjt like this.
  3. Covingtonjt

Jan 3, 2018
    Amherst, VA
    Than
    Thank you for the response!

4. Gray Farms

Gray Farms Crowing

Apr 11, 2016
    NW Missouri
    Those birds don't fit the standard. Wyandottes should have yellow legs. They do have good shape, but your right the lacing is wrong. To much white.

JedJackson and Covingtonjt like this.
  5. Lostchicken

Lostchicken Chirping

Sep 21, 2016
    Paris, Tx
    I am really new to chickens also and I got two Wyandotte roos that were to be hens but they crow so I don't think they are hens, but they are good looking birds. Those hens have the white legs on them are they laying eggs or do you know. My barred rocks had yellow legs but when they started laying I noticed the legs turned more white than yellow.

6. Covingtonjt

Jan 3, 2018
    Amherst, VA
    I'm sure they are laying but those are someone else's birds. Birds do lose some of their color as they lay though, mine did the same thing.

7. TinyBirds

TinyBirds Songster

Jul 9, 2009
    Texas
    I think those are stunning birds (much better than hatchery) but I would recommend Brinkhaven Acres because I got some from them and they are beautiful. I dont think it's true though that good breeders wouldn't sell hatching eggs. Everyone is different and it's personal choice.

Covingtonjt likes this.
  8. Covingtonjt

Jan 3, 2018
    Amherst, VA
    Thank you so much, I'll look into them for sure!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: