Silver Lakenvelder Male or female

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by MountainChickenMama, May 6, 2011.

1. MountainChickenMama

MountainChickenMama Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 12, 2010
    The chick was 3 weeks old yesterday, any thoughts as to whether it is a male or female....I realize it might be too early to tell, but figured I would try.....

[​IMG]

2. Robin'sBrood

Robin'sBrood Flock Mistress

May 8, 2008
    North Carolina
    Based on the comb alone I'm going to go out on a limb and say male. Here are a couple of pics of my two when they were around 4 weeks old (2 years ago). My hen was TINY compared to her brother, and she didn't have a comb nearly as big as his. And he feathered out much faster too, which was strange.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

3. MountainChickenMama

Jul 12, 2010
    Bummer...when will I know for sure so that I can start to find a home for him?

4. AKsmama

AKsmama Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 20, 2010
    South Carolina
    I would think within the next 2-3 weeks you'll know. Here is my Lakenvelder cockeral at 6 weeks (he feathered early too and was the first to develop a comb and wattles):

[​IMG]

5. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    I'm going to say pullet. I don't see thick legs, no pink in the comb. Another couple weeks and you should know for sure.

6. MountainChickenMama

Jul 12, 2010
    Only time will tell...thanks for the inputs, we shall see if anyone else comments.......

7. Kitt

Kitt Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 1, 2011
    Texas
    Oh my goodness....I think that looks like my baby!!!!! I am going to have to look at my fuzzy again and this pic but goodness i think this is what he may be!!! (or she). Sorry it don't take much to get me excited. [​IMG]

Those are beautiful birds.

Last edited: May 6, 2011
  8. kera!

kera! Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 1, 2011
    Navajo County
    Quote:I agree the comb might be a it larger but it looks pullet to me my Welsummer had a really big comb from week 1 or 2 and she is she.

9. MountainChickenMama

Jul 12, 2010
    It is supposed to be a pullet, but you know how hatcheries are, LOL..Thanks for the inputs so far...Keep them coming...so far we have 2 for pullet and 1 for cockeral, right?

10. Jferlisi

Jferlisi i dont eat chicken!!!!

Nov 2, 2010
    Menifee CA
    kera! :

Quote:I agree the comb might be a it larger but it looks pullet to me my Welsummer had a really big comb from week 1 or 2 and she is she.

I would have to agree that its a pullet. Looks alot like my girls did at that age.​

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by