1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Silver Lakenvelder

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by MountainChickenMama, Apr 8, 2011.

1. MountainChickenMama

MountainChickenMama Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 12, 2010
    I see that this breed is not hardy in the winter, but does anyone know how much cold/snow they can tolerate...My local feed store will be getting some of these next Friday and I can pre-pay for them if I want one....Thanks in advance....

2. Henk69

Henk69 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 29, 2008
    Groesbeek Netherlands
    It is mainly the comb freezing like for most single combed breeds.

3. WallTenters

WallTenters Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 16, 2010
    Sweet Home, OR
    With a properly designed coop, any breed can thrive in a winter climate. No, many won't do nearly as well as others, but if all else fails a red heat lamp will keep them toasty at night. Frostbite is usually a concern at night because all the birds are in the coop and their breath has a lot of moisture in it. Moisture + cold = frostbite. Keep them dry and well ventilated, and if that's not enough, do use a heat source.

I've also seen single comb breeds dubbed - so their spikes are removed, but the comb is left intact - to be more cold hardy. This isn't something you'd want to do if you were showing, and you'd want to make sure they have a proper comb before dubbing and then breeding, but it's certainly better than them having to deal with the pain of frostbite.

Good luck with them! [​IMG]

4. MountainChickenMama

MountainChickenMama Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 12, 2010
    Thanks for the replies....My husband will be building me a new coop, so I will make sure he puts electric in there so they can stay warm....

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by