Silver leghorns not layin

abqchicken

In the Brooder
Sep 26, 2015
I got 3 silver leghorns in April 2015 along with 2 Amaraucanas and 2 blue Wyandottes,. The Amaraucanas and the Wyandottes have been laying for about a month, but the silver leghorns are not.

The Amaraucanas and Wyandottes are laying consistently every day to every other day. Not sure what is going on.

Any suggestions about what might be going on?

Last edited:

This is one of them a couple of weeks ago. I feed them pellets and scraps (vegetables, some yard grass and weeds, rolled oats etc.) also give them treats of chicken scratch (cracked corn and other grains). They look great. Very healthy! They get plenty of water. Bordering on spoiled.

They are in an enclosed area. I have dogs and they would love to snack on one of them.

this is one of the Blue Wyandotte I have. They are laying fine.

I thought they were Silver Dorkins for a while, but after some research and feedback, I came to the conclusion that they are Silver Leghorns. Maybe that is not correct. I picked up the chicks sold as Grey Leghorns - they do not exist.

Last edited:
She sure looks like a silver Leghorn, maybe a touch immature as the comb is sort of pale. She may just need more time. The silver variety isn't as high-production bred as the whites, so they may mature slower.

Maybe I am just impatient since the other ones are already laying eggs for a few weeks. They all look great. This is my first try at urban chickens so I am learning. Fresh eggs are awesome!

Update - the hens are now laying. I figured once I posted and asked, murphy's law kicks in and they start laying! they are on a close to every day pattern. The first few had a bit of blood on the outside. They eggs are somewhat small, but should increase in size after a few weeks. The eggs are a nice white color.

Patience is a virtue and a must when dealing with chickens!

Back
Top Bottom