Silver leghorns

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by equine chick, Feb 23, 2008.

1. equine chick

equine chick Chillin' With My Peeps

I'm going to get some silver leghorns this year, I'm getting 3 pullets and am going to get 1 roo. Anybody have them, what are they like? I have some brown leghorns, so I know how crazy they can be. Pics would be great too.

2. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

Good luck, never had them but I do know at least the white ones are like popcorn.

3. NYREDS

NYREDS Overrun With Chickens

Jan 14, 2008
    A leghorn is a Leghorn is a Leghorn. They're great birds. Beautiful and great layers. They're also, with rare exceptions, very flighty! It's a trait they share with most of the other breeds in the Mediterranian class.

4. equine chick

equine chick Chillin' With My Peeps

I know they can be flightly. I have three brown leghorn hens. I have gotten them to a point though, I can pick them up when i want to. They are cute though, their combs are so tall and heavy they flop over like a little hat. I think the silvers are beautiful though and we might show them, we will see.

5. hcammack

hcammack Overrun With Chickens

Oct 5, 2007
    Vermont
    I have found the flightyness to be very true my neighbor is looking for 3 great layers so i think I am rehoming the campamine and 2 leghorns and sticking with heavier brown egg layers.

Henry

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by