Silver leghorns

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by equine chick, Feb 23, 2008.

1. equine chick

equine chick Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 9, 2007
    pennsylvania
    I'm going to get some silver leghorns this year, I'm getting 3 pullets and am going to get 1 roo. Anybody have them, what are they like? I have some brown leghorns, so I know how crazy they can be. Pics would be great too.

2. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

Good luck, never had them but I do know at least the white ones are like popcorn.

3. NYREDS

NYREDS Overrun With Chickens

Jan 14, 2008
    A leghorn is a Leghorn is a Leghorn. They're great birds. Beautiful and great layers. They're also, with rare exceptions, very flighty! It's a trait they share with most of the other breeds in the Mediterranian class.

4. equine chick

equine chick Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 9, 2007
    pennsylvania
    I know they can be flightly. I have three brown leghorn hens. I have gotten them to a point though, I can pick them up when i want to. They are cute though, their combs are so tall and heavy they flop over like a little hat. I think the silvers are beautiful though and we might show them, we will see.

5. hcammack

hcammack Overrun With Chickens

Oct 5, 2007
    Vermont
    I have found the flightyness to be very true my neighbor is looking for 3 great layers so i think I am rehoming the campamine and 2 leghorns and sticking with heavier brown egg layers.

Henry

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by