1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Silver Penciled Cochin Bantam and possible Frizzle?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Lisa Pedro, Jul 2, 2012.

1. Lisa Pedro

Lisa Pedro Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 12, 2012
    Christmas, FL
    My Coop
    Someone said I had some Silver Penciled Cochin Bantams. I am guessing it is this pair they were talking about. What do you think?
    [​IMG]
    My hen.[​IMG]
    She is almost 4 weeks old.[​IMG]
    From the side.

[​IMG]
    My little rooster! Cuthbert![​IMG]
    He still looks like a baby compared to most of the others. But he is one of the biggest.[​IMG]
    Ok, what is going on with these wing feathers, lol. He has not grown in many feathers yet and the one's he has are all over the place.[​IMG]
    Seems like about half are sticking out. He did not mind posing for pictures at all.
    Are they Silver Penciled Cochin Bantams? And is Cuthbert a Frizzle?
    Thanks for all of your help.

2. MamaMarcy

MamaMarcy Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 28, 2011
    Snohomish, WA
    I'm going to guess yes on frizzling...

3. msmeower

msmeower Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 25, 2012
    Flat Creek, TN
    Yes! He's a wonderful frizzle! The curly feathers will gradually fill in and he should be frizzled all over in another 6-8 weeks. Lovely!

4. Lisa Pedro

Jun 12, 2012
    Christmas, FL
    My Coop
    Well, I am excited! I think that makes him extra special.

5. Lisa Pedro

Jun 12, 2012
    Christmas, FL
    My Coop
    That is great!

6. MamaMarcy

Aug 28, 2011
    Snohomish, WA
    I hatched out 3 frizzle crosses...2 were not frizzle and one was. The first place I noticed the frizzling was the wings [​IMG]

7. Lisa Pedro

Jun 12, 2012
    Christmas, FL
    My Coop
    I am thinking that he will be a pretty desirable rooster being cochin and frizzle

8. MamaMarcy

Aug 28, 2011
    Snohomish, WA
    This is my frizzle bantam cochin roo, he's been a sweety till now....he's a little brat who thinks he's big and tough and floggs me. His frizzle baby was also a roo so I sold him. I have 4 naken neck eggs under a bantam cochin hen now and if they are fertile they are this big guys babies. I'm hoping one hatches frizzle cause Batman is close to being a goner if he gets me again

[​IMG]

9. Lisa Pedro

Jun 12, 2012
    Christmas, FL
    My Coop
    Very Pretty. Cuthbert was going for my face everyday when I would be looking at them in the cage or chicken tractor. So I wondered if he would do that to my feet, so I knew what to expect from him as he go older. So I took him in my office, closed the door, sat him on a phone book by himself and his attitude changed. He just sat there, quiet, did not do anything. I don't think he was scared. I sat him on my desk for awhile too. Well, it seemed to have worked, he does not jump at me anymore. I think it was a pecking order thing, and when it was just him and me, he figured out I was above him in the pecking order, lol.

10. SmallFryer

SmallFryer New Egg

Aug 27, 2011
    he is so cute ~: ^ ) I would vote no on the frizzle. I own a couple (frizzles) along with a sizzle (silkie/frizzle mix) but I'm not a breeder nor a pro... just an opinion. He's a cutie what ever he turns out to be.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by