Silver Penciled Plymouth Rock Breeders

Discussion in 'Chicken Breeders & Hatcheries' started by stevin, Jul 7, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. stevin

stevin Songster

Sep 11, 2009
    Dartmouth, Ma
    Are there any breeders of quality Silver Penciled Plymouth Rocks? I'm looking to add to my flock next spring so i figured i might as well start making arrangements now.....

2. Ehigh57

Ehigh57 Songster

Apr 8, 2009
    Newnan, GA. 30263
    Wynette has gorgeous birds. Check out her website.

3. Hennypen

Hennypen Songster

Jun 14, 2009
    I bought hatching eggs from Wynette. I'm also looking for another line so if you find another nice line, please LET US KNOW!!!

4. jerseygirl1

jerseygirl1 Crowing

Jun 20, 2009
    Orange County, NY
    Try Peepsinc- I hatched some of his eggs I won at a silent auction and they are really nice birds - but I forgot - bantams

5. Hennypen

Hennypen Songster

Jun 14, 2009
    Wynette's and now mine are the large version. Sweet birds.

6. RAREROO

RAREROO Crowing

Jul 22, 2009
    Alapaha, Ga
    Ugly Ducky also has them I believe.

7. shanshan51

shanshan51 Songster

Sep 7, 2011
    Vacaville, CA
    Wow this is an old post. We also breed SPPRs if anyone is looking!

8. TexasLady

TexasLady Chirping

Mar 27, 2012
    I have Silver Pencil Rocks also. I've bred them on and off for about 20 years (though I always had to purchase mine from McMurrays until last year when I got them from two breeders).

I personally think that the SPR is the prettiest of all the Rocks. When I showed mine to a judge recently, he was impressed with the weight of my better roosters.

I personally think that the hens are the prettiest of all the Rocks. They look grey when far away, but as you get closer, the bands across the feathers are very fine lines, and they are very pretty upon close inspection. The roosters are very beautiful in all respects with their contrast of feathers. The feathers are good for fly tying because they make a beautiful fly that has colors that attract fish.

I have always loved this breed and color. I find Rocks to be quiet birds that lay a good sized, brown egg consistently. My SPRs are no different, and they are consistent layers of a nice, light brown egg.

Any other breeders?

9. TexasLady

TexasLady Chirping

Mar 27, 2012
    [​IMG]

I thought you might enjoy seeing what the young birds look like. These are birds that are almost 9 months old. The cockerel has ruffled up his neck feathers for some reason, so he isn't quite as pretty as he could be.

10. TexasLady

TexasLady Chirping

Mar 27, 2012
    [​IMG]

See how finely marked the hens are? I love the penciling on the hens (though many people prefer to Barred to the penciling.) I guess I enjoy the understated.

[​IMG]

Now how could one not think he was a beauty?

This color variation is very hard to get right. Although I love them and think they are far and above the prettiest of the Rocks, they probably won't ever be consistent winner. It is a hard color to get right, and few have ever done it.

I hope you enjoy the pictures. I think mine are some pretty, good birds.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by