Silver Penciled Plymouth Rock

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by stacylynn, Jan 29, 2013.

1. stacylynn

stacylynn Out Of The Brooder

Apr 29, 2012
    Black Diamond, WA
    Hi! I am wondering if anyone can answer my question. I have a 20 week old Silver Penciled Plymouth rock and I want to put her in my other coop with my 11 month old Russian Orloff and Barnevelder. My question is, is it too early to move her since she's not laying right now due to the freezing weather? And since my other two are on layer food.

Thanks

2. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    Greetings from Kansas, stacylynn, and [​IMG]! Great to have you here! It won't harm your 20 week old to eater layer ration -she is almost to laying age. If you have quarantined the rock for the proper length of time it is a good time to move her - there will be a pecking order breaking in period. Have you read up on introducing new birds to the flock? Good luck to you!

3. b.hromada

b.hromada Flock Mistress

Hi Stacylnn! [​IMG] from S. Florida! So glad you joined us!

4. stacylynn

stacylynn Out Of The Brooder

Apr 29, 2012
    Black Diamond, WA
    The SPPR has been in her own coop for almost 3 months with no signs of illness. My other two chickens have always been together since hatching and they haven't had any illnesses either. I am a first time chicken owner for almost a year now. I've read about putting a hiding spot in the coop but the SPPR is as big as the 11 month old Orloff. I heard some people put the new ones in at night so they wake up together but that won't work for me since I work at 5 in the morning. My Barnevelder seems to be the higher ranking hen, and she seems so interested inthe SPPR. I'm not sure if that's a good or bad thing. When I walk between the two coops the Barnevelder gets really excited and talks up a storm. It's not her harsh squawk sound like I've heard before.

5. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    Hello and welcome to BYC [​IMG] I think you should put them all together and keep an eye on them to see how it goes. There will probably be some bullying and pecking, but as long as there's no blood drawn it's better to let them sort it out. Chicken's pecking orders can be vicious, but it's necessary for them. Good luck!

6. 1muttsfan

1muttsfan Overrun With Chickens

Mar 26, 2011
    Upper Peninsula Michigan
    Hi and welcome to BYC from northern Michigan [​IMG]

You could also put her in a smaller cage inside the coop for a few days, giving them all a chance to get used to each other up close. Good luck.

7. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    X 2 Welcome to BYC.

8. weimarmama

weimarmama Overrun With Chickens

Jun 4, 2010
    Alabama
    My Coop
    [​IMG] &[​IMG] from Alabama. Glad you joined us.

9. The Howards

The Howards Chillin' With My Peeps

Hi and welcome from NC. The method mentioned 1muttsfan is the only one that ever worked for us. we keep them separated in adjoining areas for about a week, then let them have supervised visits to feel their attitudes out. when they finally all get in the same area there will still be some fussing but it is normal.

10. Dnetschke

Dnetschke Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 19, 2012
    Berthoud, CO
    Welcome From Cold Colorado [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by