Silver Penciled Plymouth Rocks

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by msteresaann, May 16, 2010.

1. msteresaann

msteresaann Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 11, 2010
    Washington
    I have hatched the cutest chicks, but I have two very different colors. I was wondering if they can be sexed by the color?
    Both have the brown/black chipmunk stripes, but one is a dark reddish brown and the other is grayish.

Oh, and I want to give a shout out to PeepsInc; these chicks came from eggs that traveled 2,600 miles and all arrived safe and sound. [​IMG] [​IMG]
    Thanks Chris, we love the Fluffy Butts.

2. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    They cannot be sexed at hatch. But once their chest feathers come in they can be sexed. The males will be more black in their chest, and the females will have the penciling in their chest. (more silver less black)

I have a great picture showing the difference, but I can't upload right now due to internet service problems.

3. Happy Chooks

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    [​IMG] I was able to upload a picture!

Cockeral on the left, pullet on the right.
    [​IMG]

4. msteresaann

msteresaann Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 11, 2010
    Washington
    Thanks, new2chooks [​IMG]
    Just wishful thinking on my part. There was just such a difference in color [​IMG] I got to hoping.

Chick 1
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Chick 2
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

5. Happy Chooks

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    Hmmmm, mine weren't that light. Here's what mine looked like at a week old.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

And as a day old:
    [​IMG]

6. Bantimna

Bantimna Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 29, 2009
    South Africa
    The chick in the second pic. looks male to me [​IMG]

7. Iggygirl

Iggygirl New Egg

May 17, 2013
    Oxford PA
    This photo was very helpful with sexing my chicks, now I know what to look for when my 4 silver penciled rock chicks start feathering out in the chest!

8. purplesquirrel

purplesquirrel Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 7, 2013
    Bristol, United Kingdom
    May I ask how old they are here?
    Mine look like males but they have plumage similar to your female...:/

9. MotorcycleChick

MotorcycleChick Gone quackers

Apr 17, 2012
    Coffee shop
    I am here, so apparently people still find this looking for an answer. My chicks looked like yours, msteresaann. Four bigger light ones, and two smaller dark ones. The smaller are girls. I also have three boys. So only one light one was a girl. I am told by the person I received the eggs from, that this is common in her line. Apparently, it does happen that you can sometimes (SOMETIMES) guess at birth based on color.
    I have 18 due to hatch in under a week. We will see what happens this time.

10. Egghead_Jr

Egghead_Jr Overrun With Chickens

Oct 16, 2010
    NEK, VT
    The color difference at hatch is by chance. There can be a hatch with predominant light males due to parentage but it's not a sexable trait. I've had no sex link to color in two years of hatching them. In reality the dark birds are not as desirable. They will grow into birds with brownish hue and are typically smutty in pattern, not to discount those birds from the get go, as one could have great type and pencil so worth breeding forward ,but your silver parents will come from silver chicks. If the parents were from silver chicks there is a low percent of brown chicks. My last batch was something like three brownish to dozen silver.

There is a lot of inter variety breeding with the two penciled (partridge and silver). This I believe adds to the high percent brown hue in females and autosomal red in males. Both of these traits should be culled out from your breeding efforts. It's said such crossings will take three years to clean up the silver. The problem is it's done more frequently than you'd think and not subsequently cleaned up properly before passing on eggs. The autosomal red (brassy hackle, saddle and especially shoulder feathers) and brownish hue of hens was apparent in this variety a century ago. It's inherent to the variety but a fault that should be guarded against not exacerbated by crossing to Partridge willy nilly.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by