1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Silver penciled rock cockerel?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by ahhriii, May 30, 2016.

1. ahhriii

ahhriii Just Hatched

May 30, 2016
    Bellingham, WA
    Hi there, can anyone confirm this is actually a silver penciled rock cockerel? Hot Wing is about 12 weeks old. It's just that pictures online show more black and white than what he is currently showing but this just might be because of age? Thanks!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. TheKindaFarmGal

TheKindaFarmGal Chillin' With My Peeps

Pretty sure that is a cockerel.

3. elizabethjg

elizabethjg Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 27, 2016
    Texas
    Where did you get him? He's very pretty!

1 person likes this.
  4. Gray Farms

Gray Farms Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2016
    NW Missouri
    I'd say he probibly is. He may molt in differenlty in his next molt. Cockerels of many breeds tend to do that. I know with my black sumatras, they get several white feathers in when they are babies and in their first molt they all come back in black. Time will tell.

1 person likes this.
  5. WyandotteIndeed

WyandotteIndeed Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 18, 2012
    Southern Oregon
    Sorry, that is a lovely boy, but a silver penciled bird he is not. Males of the partridge or silver penciled (silver partridge) pattern are very distinctly different from the females. They have solid black breasts and body and the only color, either silver or red, comes into their hackles and saddle feathers. There will be NO lacing on the breast feathers or mid-back as in yours. Here is a shot of one at a similar age.
    [​IMG]
    Also, any idea where he came from? That might give you some better ideas as to his lineage.

1 person likes this.
  6. AmyLM

AmyLM Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 28, 2011
    Buckley washington
    SP ... no way. Mixed breed. Male... but mixed bred.

7. ahhriii

ahhriii Just Hatched

May 30, 2016
    Bellingham, WA

Thanks for the helpful info! Luckily I am not sorry because I am not particular worried about his breed or anything, I just wanted to know if others thought he was a SP as he was labeled because I didn't think he was growing up to look like one! The pullet I have that was also labeled a SP looks like one but he does not look like the cockerels I've seen (like your beautiful bird). Any ideas what he might be?

8. ahhriii

ahhriii Just Hatched

May 30, 2016
    Bellingham, WA

Oh and I got him from our local feed and seed I don't think he was local but I'm not sure. I'm gonna call and ask them !

9. ahhriii

ahhriii Just Hatched

May 30, 2016
    Bellingham, WA

Got him from our local feed and seed, don't think he was local but I'm not sure. I'm gonna call and ask!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by