1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

silver pencilled cock or not?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by mems_mk, Dec 7, 2011.

1. mems_mk

mems_mk Out Of The Brooder

Dec 7, 2011
    I was given this wee bird at about 4wks old and told it was a pure silver pencilled wyandotte cockerel. I know nothing of this breed but I have my doubts. For starters I think it is a pullet- of course I could be wrong, and I doubt it is pure. Any input would be a huge help.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 7, 2011
  2. hdowden

hdowden Overrun With Chickens

Aug 14, 2011
    louisiana
    that looks like an oegb roo. deffently a roo you can clearly see the saddle feathers on him and you can see the nice hackles

3. hdowden

Aug 14, 2011
    louisiana
    do you have a pic of the comb looking at the comb it doesnt appaer straight like an oegb would be

4. mems_mk

Dec 7, 2011
    [​IMG]

hope this helps if you dont mind how do you sex these little guys? I would say it is def. wyandotte of one sort or many - the guy who gave it too me is a wyandotte breeder although his honesty can be questionable and as i said I know nothing of this breed Iam searching for some guidance. I have only ever bread RHR.

Last edited: Dec 7, 2011
  5. DTchickens

DTchickens Overrun With Chickens

Mar 23, 2008
    Bailey, Mississippi.
    That is a cockerel, I am 100% sure. The coloration is a dead give away. Look up Silver duckwing and Silver Penciled males and females. You'll see the drastic difference in the birds. It is the same way for a partridge/BBred bird. Looks like a Silver Penciled Wyandotte, comb and type is wrong for OEGB as well as leg color and him being too bulky in the body (especially when you take into account he is 4 weeks old. He has a lot of maturing left to do).

6. mems_mk

Dec 7, 2011
    sorry I should have explained better I got him at 4wks he is now around 12wks so still alot more growing there

7. hdowden

Aug 14, 2011
    louisiana
    same as most chickens. if this chick is as young as it is supposed to be then it has a really really red comb and wattles for a chick, plus the hackle and saddle feathers on it. although lack of tail is questionable. u sure there arent any other breeds that could have got mixed in eaither that or hes just a pet quilety. do i see feathers on his legs? a shot of the top of him can help to see the hackle and saddle feathers. plus the color that he's turning out to be. does have the right type of comb though

heres the feathersite page for the color you are looking at. its the 10th pair of pics down after all the links
    http://www.feathersite.com/Poultry/CGP/Wyand/BRKWyand.html

8. DTchickens

DTchickens Overrun With Chickens

Mar 23, 2008
    Bailey, Mississippi.
    Quote:I see. He did look a little mature for 4 weeks, but still; a lot of maturing left to do [​IMG].

9. mems_mk

Dec 7, 2011
    yes he has a thin line down the out side of each leg. He is around 12 wks I suppose its possible there is another breed in there as I mentioned this guy can be slightly dodgy. Im just curious because of his colouring. The pic ive seen of the silver pencilled wyandottes dont have the brown that he is displaying. I have seen some with the feather line down their leg though.

10. WhiteMountainsRanch

WhiteMountainsRanch Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 19, 2010
    Sandy Eggo, CA
    Wow, that looks almost nothing like a Wyandotte.

I wonder if the "breeder" had bantam Wyandottes and they somehow cross with an OEGB...???

This is a mature Bantam Silver Pencilled Wyandotte rooster;
    (NOT my pic)...
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 8, 2011

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by