1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Silver Pheasant Breeding Question

Discussion in 'Pheasants and Partridge (Chukar)' started by Game Bird Guy, Dec 10, 2011.

1. Game Bird Guy

Game Bird Guy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2011
    Victoria
    Hi. I have the opportunity to buy 2 hens for my male Silver Pheasant. I have a concern though. My male has crooked toes. Do you think he would actually mate with the hens? I have a Leghorn rooster with crooked toes and he does not mate with his hens, and he is of breeding age. I don't want tp buy the hens unless he would actually mate with them, as he is completely contented living with my peacock right now. All advice is accepted, positive or negative. Thanks in advance. Kramer.

2. Tony K T

Tony K T Overrun With Chickens

Jul 28, 2008
    New Hampshire
    Pheasants can breed with crooked toes.You can also leave them in with your peafowl and everyone should get along fine.
    As for your leghorn,he should also be breeding his hens.Are you sure he is breeding your hens and you do not see him?
    In N.H.,Tony.

3. Game Bird Guy

Jul 22, 2011
    Victoria
    Quote:Thanks Tony. I thought it would be alright, I just wanted reasurance. My male Silver lost his hen to the cold, and I feel so bad about him being my only pheasant right now. The hens are 2009 hatches and the male 2010. Will they breed in the spring?

My Leghorn defienetely doesn't breed the hens, all the eggs we tried to hatch were infertile. He has a brother the same age who is mating and his eggs hatched. They are both in sepereate pens, so it is not a dominancve issue.

4. Tony K T

Tony K T Overrun With Chickens

Jul 28, 2008
    New Hampshire
    Yes,they will breed this spring.What other breeds of pheasants do you raise?
    In N.H.,Tony.

5. Game Bird Guy

Jul 22, 2011
    Victoria
    Quote:I currently raise just the Silvers. Come springtime though I will have Silver Golden, Green Junglefowl and Black Mutants.
    I will hopefully have Yellow and Red Goldens as well, possibly Amherst, and possibly Blue-eareds. It's just so hard to get unrelated birds where I am without having them shipped 1500 km to me.

6. adriano

adriano Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 28, 2009
    Ireland
    Quote:I currently raise just the Silvers. Come springtime though I will have Silver Golden, Green Junglefowl and Black Mutants.
    I will hopefully have Yellow and Red Goldens as well, possibly Amherst, and possibly Blue-eareds. It's just so hard to get unrelated birds where I am without having them shipped 1500 km to me.

Silver Golden ? [​IMG]

7. Alicia G

Alicia G Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 29, 2010
    Nova Scotia
    Sliver-goldens? Iv'e never heard of em... they sound very pretty [​IMG]

8. Game Bird Guy

Jul 22, 2011
    Victoria
    Quote:I am getting them from P&L Gamebirds. They're more black and white than silver though.

9. Alicia G

Alicia G Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 29, 2010
    Nova Scotia
    When you get them could you post pictures? They sound lovely [​IMG]

10. fancyfowl4ever

fancyfowl4ever Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 17, 2008
    Cranbrook, BC, Canada
    Quote:I am getting them from P&L Gamebirds. They're more black and white than silver though.

Perry has some georgeous silver goldens. He has wonderful pheasants over all! I want to get some dark throated from him next year.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by