Silver pheasants

Discussion in 'Pheasants and Partridge (Chukar)' started by cathunter10, Aug 11, 2010.

1. cathunter10

cathunter10 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 24, 2010
    Piedmont, MO.
    Will silver pheasants breed and be fertial The first year or do they have to be two years old.
    Bill

2. Charliet

Charliet away

Apr 8, 2010
    macon GA
    yes they should be fertile the first yr unless they are a late hatch then they may be two before fertile but more than likly they will be fertile the first yr. but with birds you just never know and nothing can be for sure or set in stone hope this helps and good luck!!!!

3. Yvonne37894

Yvonne37894 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 13, 2009
    Live Oak, FL
    We got our Silvers late last year as juveniles.
    they laid thier first eggs late spring.
    They eat most of them.
    We still hatch out 3
    They quit laying after the first clutch.

4. Charliet

Charliet away

Apr 8, 2010
    macon GA
    next yr they will probably lay atleast another clutch maybe two. did you put some cover in the pen in a corner for then hen to lay under a 2ft sQ piece of plywood will work if you cant get limbs also if you havent already put a nest box in their most silvers i have had and seen would lay in their most of the time this will probably save some of your eggs good luck!!!!

5. Boggy Bottom Bantams

Boggy Bottom Bantams Overrun With Chickens

Mar 9, 2008
    Hahira, GA
    lay the first year, color up fully the second year.
    If you pull the eggs daily for incubation, they are laying machines, will lay most all summer, same with golds and amherst.
    If you have an egg eating problem, you need to either put blinders on them, or clip the top half of thier beak some so they cant crack the egg, do it back to where it just barley bleeds a little. I've had to do this over the years with all kinds of birds, works great, doesnt hurt them, and best of all, they stop eating the blame eggs!! LOL

6. cathunter10

cathunter10 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 24, 2010
    Piedmont, MO.
    THANKS FOR THE IMFO.:)You guys as usual are very helpfull to a old man.[​IMG]
    Bill

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by