silver phoenix chickens

mkarner

Hatching
12 Years
Aug 16, 2007
My son bought a silver phoenix rooster and 4 hens at the county fair. I found out on the web that they are not "winter hardy". Anyone with experience getting these birds through a Boulder, Colorado winter?

napalongtails can tell you. she lives in oregon and has phoenix that she breeds and sells. i'm sure she'll find this thread and be able to answer your question.

From Maine here and my Phoenix have been fine for 1 1/2 yrs. The roosters can have larger combs, making them prone to frostbite, but I think thy winter just well as most any other bird.

PS: Just make sure they have a good draft-free coop and I always keep a heat lamp on in the winter...as an attempt to keep the eggs from freezing more then anything.
hmm.png

Last edited by a moderator:
Yup Blue I saw it
smile.png
Actually I am in the pacific Northwest about 80 miles from the Canadian border. My phoenix ladies were the ONLY breeds that I kept that did indeed lay eggs ALL winter. I only had 2 males develope mild frost bite on their comb tips. I must admit however that my stock is extremely spoiled. Yes they lived in heated quarters from November till March. So did I. I kept 2-3 girls with each of the fellas. They had rubber mats on their floors covered by pine shavings. I had to heat their waterers twice a day and I of course cooked them supper on most evenings that included some oatmeal and scrammbled eggs. But seriously you can keep them in a regular coop as many of the ladies did stay out with the big flock. I opened the door in the day enough for them to get out if they wanted to. The hen house had a heated waterer straw and shavings on the floor and as many nooks and crannies covered as I could. When we hit the below zeros is when I turned on the heat lamp at night. If you can tell me what sort of facilities you have I could maybe make some suggestions for you. J.J./Napalongtails

Back
Top Bottom