Silver phoenix or silver gray dorking hens?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by dojustice, Nov 3, 2010.

1. dojustice

dojustice New Egg

Nov 3, 2010
    I bought a collection of various rare breed pullets this spring, and I have five hens now that I've thought this whole time were silver gray dorkings. Today I saw a picture of a silver phoenix hen, and she looked just like my five.

Can someone tell me how to tell the difference? I'm leaning toward phoenix because mine have spiky little combs, and they are very light (small) bodied, but I'd really like to know for sure.

I only have this one picture with two of them in it right now, but maybe it'll help someone decide? I'll try to post a better one soon.

Thanks!

Last edited: Nov 3, 2010
  2. dojustice

dojustice New Egg

Nov 3, 2010
    Sorry. Here's the bad pic.

The chickens I'm asking about are the ones in the bottom-left and top-right of the photo.

Thanks again!

[​IMG]

3. banjoejoe4783

banjoejoe4783 VILLAMIL FARMS

Oct 6, 2010
    westville ok
    what color are ther legs phinx will be blue dorcking are yellow i think sorry cant see your pic

4. BlackBrookPoultry

BlackBrookPoultry Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 15, 2010
    Western Wisconsin
    Dorkings have a 5th toe, do the pheonix? That may be a way to tell.

5. dojustice

dojustice New Egg

Nov 3, 2010
    Brilliant!! Thanks so much!

I will check the toes, but I know that one of them has yellow legs, and the other four have blue/gray legs! I always just thought it was a breeding anomaly.

You guys are great!

6. RAREROO

RAREROO Overrun With Chickens

Jul 22, 2009
    Alapaha, Ga
    If you could get a side picture we could tell you easily, Its hard to say from the back.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by