1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Silver pin feathers on head and shaking heads

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by flock mommasan, Feb 6, 2017.

1. flock mommasan

flock mommasan Out Of The Brooder

Dec 8, 2016
    Got a couple of questions:

I'm noticing a couple of my chickens looking like old men! They have silver pin-like feathers on their head -- sort of like gray hair. They are roughly 5 months old. I thought maybe it had to do with other birds striping the feather, but I don't know.... The one who has it the most is a Wyandotte, Winnie, who I think is at the bottom of the pecking order, but I noticed my black sex-link, Big Mama (aka Mammasan), who's at the top of the order seems to have a few, too, so not sure about my theory. Maybe these are just some new feathers coming in???

Don't know if this is related or not, but I see a few of the chickens shake their heads from time to time. Is that normal? Can't say that I noticed it previously. It's not a huge amount, more like something from time-to-time, or they are clearing their head out -- and not all of them seem to do it. I haven't checked them over carefully -- not sure exactly how to do this if I need to!

I'm a newbie to all this .... :)

2. Firekin1

Firekin1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 5, 2014
    Nova Scotia
    Chickens usually go through a mini moult at around 5-6 months old. It's normal to see new pin feathers coming in around the tops of their heads and also commonly seen around different areas of their neck. As for the head shaking, chickens do shaken their heads to clear things out.

3. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    [​IMG]

Can you post pics of your birds?

4. flock mommasan

flock mommasan Out Of The Brooder

Dec 8, 2016
    Great! Thanks for the info.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by