Silver Rock? or White Bright? or just a plain ole mutt.

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by bakerjw, Dec 23, 2010.

1. bakerjw

bakerjw Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2010
    Johnson City, Tn
    I have 2 flocks of birds. I have the girls which are TSC sex link pullets who remain roosterless as some people don't want to buy fertilized eggs and I have the free rangers that we call the "Chicklets". The Chicklets consist of 5 White Rocks and 5 Silver Sebrights and as would be expected the WR roos have their way with the flock in general (until I get their run finished and seperate them from my little SSs). This last Fall I had 2 hens go broody on eggs and ended up 2 hatches consisting of 7 WR chicks and 4 cross bred chicks shown here.

[​IMG]

The picture is poor quality so the detail in their wing feathers can't be seen very well but I found it very interesting. It is clear that they are going to be larger birds than their SS mothers but the coloration of their feather patterns is the same on all 4 of them. They have lost the typical laced pattern of a SS and now have alternating white/cream and black stripes. I am no genetic expert but I'd have expected some diversity among their patterns.

So I call them Silver Rocks and my wife calls them White Brights. I prefer purity in breeds and don't like crosses too well but these look like they'll be quite interesting so I wanted to share it with the folks here on BYC.

2. al6517

al6517 Real Men can Cook

May 13, 2008
    It appears that your hatchery WR's had the Barred gene, which is not uncommon for mutt hatchery stock and they just passed it along to the chicks. So they are pretty much Barred rock Mutt's. They will be bigger and faster growing than the seabright's and the barring may be more distinct after their 1st molt, you could always seperate them with a Seabright Roo and see what you get this summer, that may be kinda cool looking.

AL

3. bakerjw

bakerjw Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2010
    Johnson City, Tn
    Ah Barred Rock. That's the breed I was looking for. I got my WRs from a local breeder. I don't recall seeing any BRs at his place. I figured that it was genes from the SS causing the striped pattern.

I'll post up some better pictures once they mature. They'll still be pretty mutts.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by