Silver seabright crossing

Discussion in 'Exhibition, Genetics, & Breeding to the Standard o' started by guybrody, Sep 28, 2016.

1. guybrody

guybrody Just Hatched

Sep 17, 2016
    I'm crossing my silver seabrights with My blue old english game bantam.
    Is this a possible way to create blue laced seabrights?

2. AustralorpsAU

AustralorpsAU Chillin' With My Peeps

May 20, 2016
    Down Under
    I dont know but that would be AWESOME!

3. Kev

Kev Overrun With Chickens

Jan 13, 2008
    Sun City, California
    Sure, the simplest and most straightforward way to make blue laces is to keep a blue from each generation and breed back to a pure sebright.

the first cross could either turn out blue/black with little color, either white or gold on their necks or start out black/blue but get a lot of color over their bodies- again either white or gold as they feather up.

If you want only silvers, no golds choose the ones with white details. If none show white details, only red/brown/gold, keep a blue pullet and breed with silver sebright roo.. all of their daughters will be silver, so keep only the pullets and again breed to a silver sebright and this line will be pure for silver forever.

it is because the gene that makes chickens black and white(aka silver sebright) is sex linked. Gold laceds don't have the silver gene so they turn out brown and black instead.

The genetics for lacing is slightly complicated and is due to several genes.. expect a crazy range of patterns especially in the second generation. You will quickly start to see better lacing by the third generation if you breed back to pure sebrights. Possible to see some decent lacing in the second generation but third generation is more realistic, especially if not hatching large numbers of chicks each generation. Breeding the cross cockerel to a cross pullet will just throw even crazier range of patterns.. many will be very beautiful but not very helpful with a laced project if you don't know what to look for.

Last edited: Sep 29, 2016
    1 person likes this.
  4. guybrody

guybrody Just Hatched

Sep 17, 2016
    We shall see I'm antious
    Thank yall

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by